• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mars 19.01.2014

catman161

Not a very good Mars unfortunately but at least it was clear enough to motivate me to setup, it's been over a month! 

I was plagued with pointing accuracy problems because I rushed setting up and my PA wasn't actually polar as it turned out so I took everything off and polar aligned properly then goto via CdC was fine. Also it was the first time last night that I used my wireless Xbox 360 controller to control the mount whic worked well and was muc easier than messing with the N, E, S, W keys on EQmod so I was leased with that :)

Anyway the conditions were not good seeing-wise, the point at which you could say "thats probably in focus" to the point of the lanet almost completely disapearing into a massive blurry blob was miniscule.

So below is: Best 50 % of 3500 frames with following equipment: SW 200P, Belt Driven NEQ 6 Pro, ASI120MC, Televue 4x Powermate. Put through PIPP, stacked with AS!2, wavelets in Registax, levels and sharpening in PSCS2.

As always commnents/advice welcomed :)

14197934826_8bf43ff102_o.png
Mars 18_05_2014 23_22_20PSP by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Edited by catman161

Nice Pic Felix  - as you say atmosphere not brilliant but I can see the Ice Cap at the North ( or is that Mars south Pole ? )

Nice Pic Felix  - as you say atmosphere not brilliant but I can see the Ice Cap at the North ( or is that Mars south Pole ? )

Cheers Clive. Certainly not one of my best but was nice to get out. Also that pesky ringing is something that I need to get a certain tool for PS to sort out but hey ho,  should've got more data and not over processed :)

Its the north polar cap. In the southern region there is the Hellas Plantia which looks like a large polar region (when visible) which consists of frozen C02

Good stuff Felix

Mars is starting to shrink quite quickly

the ringing may be down to the gain I think I remember reading

If you find out let me know

Thanks Steve.

It's purported to be down to incorrect gamma settings but I've been talking to some planetary heavyweights over on SGL that produce breathtaking images of the planets and they feel it is to do with insufficient data and over-processing and one in particular is adamant that it's nothing to do with capture settings and all to do with data/processing.

Good image Felix. Ive had the rings on images where thers not been sufficient data and then Ive tried to push it too much in wavelets. It took me ages to discover that pipp defaults to 1200 frames in the quality settings. I could not figure out why even after taking 6000 frames i constantly got 1200, doh

If there is a ps tool that takes the rings out then that would be handy

Nice pic there Felix.

Onion rings are definitely caused by pushing the wavelets too far in Registax.

You do down play your results. That's a nice image. You deserve to capture some nice data as you put a lot of time into it.

Jd

Nice pic there Felix.

Onion rings are definitely caused by pushing the wavelets too far in Registax.

Thanks Graham. Technically what's happened to this image is not true "onion ringing" but I take your point

Good image Felix. Ive had the rings on images where thers not been sufficient data and then Ive tried to push it too much in wavelets. It took me ages to discover that pipp defaults to 1200 frames in the quality settings. I could not figure out why even after taking 6000 frames i constantly got 1200, doh

If there is a ps tool that takes the rings out then that would be handy

Thanks Phil-you're not the only one-I too took a while to realise that setting!

You do down play your results. That's a nice image. You deserve to capture some nice data as you put a lot of time into it.

Jd

Cheers James, I don't mean to downplay anything it's just I have (in my head) a picture of how I want my images to turn out and I am almost always disappointed with results. Although there have a been a couple that I have been pleased with in the past.

Guest Tweedledum

You can see how far you have progressed with your geek speak....Welcome to the asylum!!

So below is: Best 50 % of 3500 frames with following equipment: SW 200P, Belt Driven NEQ 6 Pro, ASI120MC, Televue 4x Powermate. Put through PIPP, stacked with AS!2, wavelets in Registax, levels and sharpening in PSCS2.

Edited by Tweedledum

You can see how far you have progressed with your geek speak....Welcome to the asylum!!

Ha ha! Thanks Damian :) Just things I've learnt from the awesome (what I call) "proper planetary" guys over on SGL. There's some serious planetary imagers on there that kick out some outstanding images. They're very helpful and a great source of knowledge as is everyone here on EMS. I think astro is one of only a few hobbies where you can get advice direct from world class experts easily. Testament to the type of people that take up astronomy I think :)