• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M13 from 16.05.14

Guest VikN46

Guest VikN46

Hi all,

I revisited M13 the other night and had another go, I think it is much better than my first attempt! any helpful advice/comments appreciated good or bad!

Taken using SW 150PDS, EQ5 and a Canon 650D (unmodded with coma corrector).

Using Backyard EOS, Deep Sky Stacker and Paint Shop Pro X6.

Lights - 20 x 40 secs, 5 x 60secs 5 x 30secs , no darks and unguided

ISO800.

I have processed two versions as couldn't stop fiddling :D one with a bit more colour than the other, the very last pic is my first attempt from 2nd May for comparison.

Thanks for looking! :)

Version 1

14036484757_7d5e67ebdf_c.jpgM13 16/05/14 by VikN46, on Flickr

Version 2

14223232785_fa7c24134a_c.jpgM13 16/05/14 reworked with more colour by VikN46, on Flickr

Original attempt 2/05/14

13907804328_deee7c0a36_c.jpgM13 by VikN46, on Flickr

Edited by VikN46

Guest devil74

Cracking start Vicky...I like version 1 best, though it looks a little pink. Definitely moved on from the original attempt though so well done you. :thumbsup:

lovely job Vicky, i also like the first one, second looks alittle pink to me on my screen but was that the effect you wanted ? i know the ladys like pink,

Guest VikN46

I have to agree the second one is a bit too pink, the first does have a hint well it does on my comp screen, I had a look around on the internet with regard to colour, even double checking what the two bright stars should be and the were quite a lot that had a pinkish or orange tint. Will have another go tonight (just cannot stop messing with it :D) and try to keep the foreground star colours but take the edge off the pink! Any ideas on how to do this would be helpful. I only have paint shop pro x6 and still working out what it all does! Thanks for the comments :)

it is very difficult to get to grips with, i was like you nnot too long ago, always tinkering with the subs, i`m not familiar with your software as i use photoshop cs3,

but what i find best is to stack in deep sky stacker using kappa sigma clipping, when it has stacked i then up the saturation to between 20 and 30 % and adjust the histogram so it is over to the left just as the dotted line starts to rise the i fined it to be reasonable, the save as tiff the open it in photoshop, then use levels first, but don`t use them as one unit, i.e. don`t use the RGB levels together, use them separately, red level first then green and blue, this way tou`ll be able to adjust the colour levels better and get them all lined up together.

M13 is a tricky target to get right as it`s very easy to over saturate the colour with very long exposure like i usually do   

Edited by red dwalf

Guest VikN46

:screwloose:   Checked the images at work and yep it pink alright!! My comp screen at home doesn't show the colour as vividly!! Yes the second one is very pink, I will call that my Barbie colour scheme, and will defiantly be re adjusted :D, oh well tried !

still looks nice, beauty about imaging is that you can virtually have any colour you like