• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M51 first quick process

Allan the Plumber

Had a go at M51 Sunday night ( went to bed as it got light )

20 600 sec subs at 400 osi

10 600 Darks

20 Flats

20 Bias

SW ED80 pro 

NEQ6 

Modded Canon D1100

Guided with QHYII ST80

Process with DSS and played with in PS6

Not finished as got to get on...... oh joy being drag round Homebase #

https://flic.kr/p/nHcwQY

It looks great. All the stars look very round.The background is very black; is it too black and you are clipping away some data?

I thought the DSLR automatically did bias frames; do you find your extra bias frames are making the image better?

Smashing work. A lovely target and very nicely captured.

JD

It looks great. All the stars look very round.The background is very black; is it too black and you are clipping away some data?

I thought the DSLR automatically did bias frames; do you find your extra bias frames are making the image better?

Smashing work. A lovely target and very nicely captured.

JD

Thanks James I keep hearing contradicting comments over whether to do Bias frames as most modern Dslr do it for you since all set up APT still running what the heck eh

Is only really just a start as will see if I'm clipping the image (too dark) after the supermarket DIY store etc oh joy don't you just love Bank hols :-(

When you've done all the data collection, you'll have to do a comparison of stacked image with and without your extra bias frames - will be interesting to see if they add much (or remove much).

When zooming right in to the target, the adjacent stars look round, but quite big; is this "normal"?

Have fun shopping, i was going to go to B&Q but just can't face it.

Jd

looks great effort Allan,

sure you could crop that and make it bigger,

When you've done all the data collection, you'll have to do a comparison of stacked image with and without your extra bias frames - will be interesting to see if they add much (or remove much).

When zooming right in to the target, the adjacent stars look round, but quite big; is this "normal"?

Have fun shopping, i was going to go to B&Q but just can't face it.

Jd

Just back not too bad you mentioned the stars being very round could this be an process issue with DSS that using an image that had slight movement in that sub trying to compensate when blending all the subs?

Or is it that my focus was off did use Mask and APT Bartinhov focus and said I was pretty much slap on

Any ideas

looks great effort Allan,

sure you could crop that and make it bigger,

Too much noise tried that that's the problem with DSLR looks like it's gonna have to be the Atik for me lol

Thats looking good Allan. :)

Thanks Graham

Too much noise tried that that's the problem with DSLR looks like it's gonna have to be the Atik for me lol

More darks needed I reckon. You should be using 20 minimum on a DSLR. 

lets see if we can get a deal on two new atiks at the warwick show

You're on what you after 314L+ mono????

Edited by Allan the Plumber

More darks needed I reckon. You should be using 20 minimum on a DSLR.

Leigh I have some darks same osi and duration temp the same too could I use them?

Guest Lad98

Nice image Alan.

I have just had a go at M51 myself.

I use dark frames from a library I built up myself.

On cloudy nights I put the camera in a cool bag with ice and do a couple of hours, then separate them into there different temps ready to use on my stacks.

Not sure if its the best but looks ok to my (beginner ) eyes.

Nice image Alan.

I have just had a go at M51 myself.

I use dark frames from a library I built up myself.

On cloudy nights I put the camera in a cool bag with ice and do a couple of hours, then separate them into there different temps ready to use on my stacks.

Not sure if its the best but looks ok to my (beginner ) eyes.

Thanks Gary

Have been advised on that too but have been told that these are only really good for 6 months. I try at the end of a session to fire off a load of darks then, with the scope covered i head back in and leave the laptop camera and APT to do the rest

Thanks for the feed back if I still end up with too much noise in the image I may try and do a bank of darks at different temps well at least I can add these to any darks I take on the night as long as duration osi and temperature are the same :lol:

Guest Lad98

Hi Alan,

My aim is to have 20-25 darks for each temp. When this is reached I will keep adding to the library and delete the older darks so maintaining my 20-25 latest darks.

Gives me something to do on the cloudy nights.

the main way of losing the noise is more data or a cooled chip

Looking at what all these Ccd guys are getting with cooled point units it's time to head this way will keep the Dslr for those big sky objects time to break into the Atik market

Did you managed to get enough extra data on what you where working on Steve?

Hi Alan,

My aim is to have 20-25 darks for each temp. When this is reached I will keep adding to the library and delete the older darks so maintaining my 20-25 latest darks.

Gives me something to do on the cloudy nights.

Sounds like a plan but thinking I may go the cooled Ccd route chip noise and LP (compared to when at dark site) is pushing me in that direction thanks for tip how do you cool the camera? I've heard sticking them in fridges cool boxes etc can lead to condensation in side unit??

Looking at what all these Ccd guys are getting with cooled point units it's time to head this way will keep the Dslr for those big sky objects time to break into the Atik market

Did you managed to get enough extra data on what you where working on Steve?

no enough darkness

more data

more data

manic laugh  :D :D :D