• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron Nexstar - 6SE or 8SE will I tell a huge difference?

Seamaster

Hi, still considering a first (and only for a considerable time!) scope.

I have reviewed my budget and can stretch to around £700 all in, inc any eyepieces, power supply etc.

I can get a Celestron 6E for that, especially used and even an 8SE if I am patient pre-owned?

Question is for the significant extra cash will the 8 offer a significant increase in image size and clarity over the 6? In fact will the 6 be significantly better than the 5?

Are the magnifications very different?

I am happy to persevere in finding a 8SE in budget if it will be worth it but may as well go for a 6SE if the difference is not in proportion to the price difference?

Would I benefit more from say a 6SE with more eyepieces and extras or would it be best to max out on a 8 but with probably no extras and no cash to get any?

Thanks

Neil

Derby.

Guest CodnorPaul

I think if you are asking that now if you go for a 6 you will always be thinking you wish you had gone for an 8 - be patient and go for the 8, it is a very capable OTA

If you were upgrading from 6" to 8" I'd say it wasn't worth it you'd need 10" for a significant difference. But cos it's your first scope I'd say go for an 8" and an equatorial mount rather than the SE which is alt/az. :)

I was looking at the same choices. A 6SE came up at the right price with the right accessories for me (as a total beginner). I was told that the 6SE performs better on the standard go-to mount than the 8SE, as the mounts are the same for both, but the 8 is a lot heavier. Can't vouch for this, though.

Alan

i`ve had both the 6se and 8se real difference is the focal length, 6 being 1500mm and the 8 being 2000mm so image scale on planets is better on the 8, also the 8 has alot more light gathering power than the 6 so better on the fainter objects, if you had lovey non light polluted skies then the 6 would be enough, i had great views with it at Kelling a few years ago, but if you suffer from light pollution those fainter objects will be better in a 8se, don`t get me wrong i loved the 6 but as we all want more power i bought a 8se and apart from the 9.25 which really is a bigger beast the 8 is the best all rounder and not really that much heavier than the 6se, you can buy a reducer to make it a faster scope for imaging, i`ve done it and was well impressed but i`m easily pleased, great scope for Planetary imaging alsowith the extra focal length.

i did get rid of the se mount and now have it mounted on my neq6

Guest CodnorPaul

If you were upgrading from 6" to 8" I'd say it wasn't worth it you'd need 10" for a significant difference. But cos it's your first scope I'd say go for an 8" and an equatorial mount rather than the SE which is alt/az. :)

I can vouch for the SE mount not being up to it - a lot of wobble when focusing or when it is windy, and I found it not very accurate.  They do sell the 8" XLT (same OTA just a different colour) on the AVX mount, so that would be a better bet if it comes up 2nd hand