• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Todays job

Guest Bryndalf

There is a bit of a flocking fest going on round here.

Let me know if you get any decent improvement, and I'll have a bash at it, although it probably won't look as tidy as DaveJW's.

what flocking paper did you use Bryn ?

was it the stuff from wilkinsons ?

if so how does it seem quality wise, does it shed fibers ?

Guest Bryndalf

Bought the MDF today John :) (just need some photos of yours now to copy ;) )

Its the stuff from FLO Rob, basically its matt black velour. It doesn't shed, in fact its like a magnet for dust and fibres...

Will let you know how good it is tonight if the cloud stays away.

Guest Bryndalf

That would be good John :)

Last night I learned three things, one good, one impressive, and one near disaster

First of all the good, the flocking really works! I started by looking at a few stars and thought it had more contrast, then looked at M42 - Wow what a difference. Definatly worth the £14 and hours work!

The impressive (for me anyway) - having fitted the new steel track I quickly realised it wasnt going to focus and I didnt have an extension tube, so had to swap back to the old R&P focuser in the dark. The impressive part is i didnt drop any tiny screws in the gravel :)

The near disaster is that after about an hours observing i thought to myself the focuser seams to be a bit lower on the HEQ5 pro. It was. I was on the last 2mm of the dovetail, it had slipped right down :o sooooo close to disaster. Lesson is to double check all fittings!

very near miss there Bryn after all your hard work too,

glad the flocking works well, i did flock my 130p once but using the protostar flocking paper which did seem to make some differance to the views, but it`s very hard to get hold of now as it`s imported.

will give the wilkos stuff a whirl.

i`ve had a look on there website and you can order it on there for a fiver and then pick it up from your nearest shop in a couple of days which sounds good