• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Battery/Power Tank - Home build - whats required...

Johnnyaardvark

Hi I have a suitable box in the form of a strong plastic toolbox that I intend to modify.

I am interested in info on what's required and suitable quality components.

I would aim for 3-4 cigar lighter connections and intend to buy an 85Ah Leisure Battery.

What do people recommend for monitoring battery level?

Weight of wires suitable for load?

Connectors?

What safety considerations are there during the build?

More questions for come no doubt :)

Steve

Hi Steve, that battery will do fine. Do a search on here for batteries etc as plenty of folk have built them?  :)

Guest devil74

Steve here's the link to what I made

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/8085-battery-box/

I have since changed the locking connectors for ciggy lighter ones but you can actually get locking ones, bit more expensive but once in the socket they ain't coming out...none of this wobbly loose connections that you usually get.

Here's a link to the socket;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200602263364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and the matching locking plug;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180512800479?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the links and info Damian. Your images are pretty useful for showing the wiring too (Which I mostly follow)

What weight of cables did you decide on for the main terminal connections and individual device connections? How did you decide on the weight? 

Interesting use of automotive fuses :)

Looking like the tool box I have may not quite be large enough (height wise) for the battery as it stands so may have to try something a little different. either modify the box or get a bigger one! I have looked at the lower profile batteries but I think it would be silly to buy a battery just to fit the box and there may still be issues with space for components as they are much longer.

Quite a lot to these things in terms of connections and splitters etc. Would be interested in  more of the does and don't advice you got of James et al. :)

Steve

Found some good links on SGL as well.

Interested in thoughts on sealed vs non sealed batteries and also how people have got on in the cold?

Thanks

Steve

No idea about sealed vs non sealed but I must have the basic of basic battery boxes and I have never had an issue with the cold. At EMS 2 I had my 38 A/H battery in a plastic container lined with 1" foam, for the 3 days I was there, it was never charged once, used for approx 8-9 hrs a night, for 3 nights, and was still going strong when I got it home. Granted I am only powering 5 dew heaters so they won't draw as much as a mount, laptop etc. Even at Belper in -5/6 degrees it still goes strong. Thing with battery's is maintenance, look after the battery and it should last years.

Thanks Daz... Think I may just go for it  with the cheap leisure battery I identified above. :)

Steve