• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi all

Guest Skyjunkie

Guest Skyjunkie

Bought my first scope a couple of weeks ago, eBay £89. Then read your forum. Bet you've heard that before...

Treated myself to a skywatcher 200p with eq5 mount on Friday and had a play this evening in the back garden.

Must say I was expecting closer to Hubble rather than NHS spectacles, do dark sites make all the difference? I've seen some pictures of Jupiter on the web with a the same scope and the pictures look amazing.

Going to have another go tomorrow and look into some bigger eyepices.

Looking forward to meeting you guys soon.

Keep looking up.

Terry

Nottingham.

Hi Terry and welcome to EMS :)

You have a very nice scope there - the 200P is an excellent size for viewing most everything. However - Hubble it ain't lol. You will see colour on planets and some double stars, but everything else is pretty much blacks, whites, and shades of grey visually. To capture colour that the human eye isn't capable of seeing on dso's you need a camera doing long exposures.

With Newtonians - a dark site really does make a huge difference because there is less stray light bouncing around inside the tube ruining the contrast and sharpness. Especially so for the larger dbsonian based newts. You will also find collimation is key to a good view - so research that and become aquainted with it for your scope - it's essential.

The supplied eyepieces are usually just enough to get you going with the scope. But it's a personal thing cos everyones eyes are different. If you come to an observing meeting you'll find folks happy to let you try a few others and help you decide on something that you're more comfy with.

Hope that helps and enjoy the forum :)

Welcome to EMS :). If anyone knows about eyepieces it's Kim. Be careful though and don't look through the televue range of eyepieces he has if he offers as once you have you will not be able to look through any other eyepiece ever again without thinking "hmmm, that's ok but its no as good as the televue" ;)

I have the 200p but on a Dobsonian style mount and normally observe from my back yard in a light polluted city and last night I was observing in the middle of nowhere (Exmoor) in Devon and it made all the difference. Ticked off a few new messier objects :o).

Felix

Hi Terry. Yeah like the guys have said above, you will never be able to get Hubble style shots, not unless you get in astrophotography, the human eye just can not pick out colour from DSO (Deep Space Objects). You can get some faint blues, perhaps some really faint red but mostly grey from nebula and dso's etc. all the shots in the imaging section were doing doing hundreds and hundreds of shots at long exposure times with some pretty expensive kit, then stacked on top of each other. Saying that though, I have seen some pretty good things with my scope. See if you can make it to one of our meets, then have another look. Ohh, and welcome to EMS.

Hi Terry, welcome to EMS. I have nearly thw same set-up as you. A SW 200PDS on an EQ5 goto but now on a permanent pier with a roll-over shed.

You get used to seeing 'small fuzzies' but if you have patience at the eyepiece it will reward you, you start seeing subtle areas and smaller stars start

to stand out and make a definite difference. The Hubble photo's spoil everybody but enjoy them for what they are, taken form space!!

Ron

Welome to EMS Terry.

In this hobby if you don't expect alot then you will be really surprised at what you do see. Remember most of the these galaxies are 50 million light years away, you are seeing light that left that galaxy when the dinosaurs were walking the Earth.

Hi Terry, a warm welcome to EMS.

That's a great scope and should keep you happy for a good while. As already mentioned, you would be very welcome to pop over to one of the meets and see what eyepieces would suit you.

If you don't already have it, Stellarium is a excellent free Planetarium program, useful for finding your way round and planning sessions.

http://www.stellarium.org/

Hi and welcome.

I've got the same set up although I built a dob mount for the tube which I prefer now. The EQ5 gets used for an 80ED refractor.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Terry,

Welcome to EMS, come along to one of the meets and have a look atothers ep's. Thats a nice scope you have and a move up in ep quality would help... though not as far as Hubble.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi and welcome.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is training your eye.

You will find the more you observe and learn different methods of looking the more you will see.