• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finally pulled the trigger on my first scope set up...

Seamaster

Well, after lots of surfing and searching, dithering and debating I finally took the plunge.

I wanted a Celestron Nexstar 8SE but simply can't afford it and doubt it's a wise investment until I know I will take to the hobby?

I looked at Dobs but wanted portability and considered a Newtonian reflector (150pds or 200pds) on a GoTo but was put off by A/ The need for collimation and B/ They only come on an equatorial mount and I don't want the hassle that comes with setting it up as my first scope...maybe on a later scope once I am more "seasoned"?!!!

Note: I did look into collimation and saw a few videos and rather than reassure me, they only confirmed to me that it is genuinely a pain the butt!!!

So, an Alt Azimuth GoTo was my choice.

With a decent refractor being out due to the high cost to aperture and quality ratio (and the fact that a decent size refractor would not be suitable for an Alt Azimuth mount) I was down to either a Maksutov or Schmidt Cassegrain on a Alt Azimuth GoTo mount set up.

As I said I ideally, and like most people wanted as much for my cash as possible but to blow the stack on the scope and leave nothing for accessories etc would have led, in my opinion to frustration and possible dissillusionment.

So as I said before, the Celstron 8SE was way out of budget (Although I do aspire to one someday) and although it was achievable to buy a 6SE it was also out due to leaving me with nothing to buy extra eyepieces, power adaptor and other bits and bobs that would be required to maximise the potential for good viewing.

For the same reason I eliminated the 5SE as it would have also left me with a bit but not enough cash left for extras. Also at nearly double the price I was and remain unconvinced that the 5SE would give me enough extra....whatever over the SLT to justify that price difference? Sure it has the XLT coatings but as a complete beginner will I really notice much difference?

So in the end it was down to the Skywatcher Skymax 127 GoTo or the Celestron SLT 127 GoTo.

I read reviews and in the end decided on the Celestron mainly due to the (arguably) more user friendly set up and GoTo menu. The viewfinders are different, the Celstron having a red dot finder but I am unsure what difference that will make to me although I have read it is very simple so will suit me fine!

They will both give the same image quality, light capture and magnification so it's really just about the GoTo set up, the extra 1 year of warranty with the Celestron and the extras? (The SW has more eyepieces as standard although of debatable quality.)

I decided on the Celestron SLT believing that the longer warranty and (arguably) easier set up and menu were worth more to me than a couple of eyepieces that I would probably have to upgrade anyway fairly soon?

So the set up I have ordered is as follows....

Celstron Nexstar SLT 127

Celestron 12v mains power adaptor

Skywatcher UHC filter

Crystalview moon filter

Celestron x-cell LX 7mm eyepiece

Celestron x-cell LX 12mm eyepiece

Vixen NPL 40mm eyepiece

Celestron 45 degree erect image diagonal 1.25"

Oh, and pair of Helios Naturesport + WA 10x50 binoculars (I would have gone for the Celstron 15x70's but wanted a pair that would be ok for everyday holiday type use and for my wife to use without a tripod etc?)

Should have it all in about a week or two max.

Prepare for cloudy skies around that time!!!

Is there anything that I will need as a beginner that I have overlooked, other than the usual patience, luck and clear skies?!!!

Thanks for all your advice and input and Kim, if I arrange to pop around perhaps you can give me a crash course in how to A/ Set it up properly and (hopefully) quickly and B/ To get the best out of it using the bits I have?

Cheers,

Neil.

Edited by Seamaster

Some good choices Neil, although not sure about the uhc filter, you might also save yourself a few quid if you swap the 7mm eyepiece for a 2x barlow lens then the 40mm eyepiece could be used as a 20 mm and the 12mm as a 6mm although 6mm might be too much mag for the 127, can't remember what the focal length of 127 is.

Guest CodnorPaul

Biggest thing missing for me is portable power - you will be amazed how much dark skies help and lugging your kit to a meet is more than worthwhile (obviously don't know where you observe at home though).

UHC filters do help - but again their worth is from dark skies, from a LP sky they don't make that much difference

Good choices but for the 1500mm scope I would have probably added a 25mm EP. Not sure how often the 7mm will be usefull unless the seeing is particularly good.

Look forward to your feedback.

Ade

Yup it's a 1500mm at f-12 (f-11.8 'ish actually). Congrats on your new scope!

You're welcome to pop round anytime Neil - but I only have next week left before starting my new job - then it will be weekends only (a little more restrictive, but do'able). Just pm me when you're ready.

Incidentally - all scopes need collimating - it's just that some hold it for longer than others - the Mak is pretty bomb proof cos the secondary is painted on the inside of the meniscus lens (rather than mounted) so it can't move.  :)

Edited by Brantuk

Thanks Kim, I won't get the scope until about a week on Wednesday but will PM you once I have it?

Thanks for all the replies and advice, I guess there is always going to be something I should of or could have bought and something that I shouldn't have bought or something that I should have bought differently but for now I am happy with my choices and can now build on them.

I would like a power tank but for now I am content to play in the back garden.

I will however be wanting to improve on or expand my little set up as I go along so I am grateful for any suggestions of what bits and bobs would plug any "gaps" in it?

Any suggestions for books or software?

I know Stellarium is highly thought of.

Neil.

Good choices but for the 1500mm scope I would have probably added a 25mm EP. Not sure how often the 7mm will be usefull unless the seeing is particularly good.

Look forward to your feedback.

Ade

Hi Ade, it comes with a 25mm and a 9mm eyepiece in the box so although I appreciate they are perhaps not the best quality EP's and will no doubt replace them at some point, they will do me for now and I felt my limited budget best spend on what I don't have and may need.

Neil.

Biggest thing missing for me is portable power - you will be amazed how much dark skies help and lugging your kit to a meet is more than worthwhile (obviously don't know where you observe at home though).

UHC filters do help - but again their worth is from dark skies, from a LP sky they don't make that much difference

Hi Paul,

A power tank is on my shopping list but I've ran out of cash for now!!!

Neil.

Some good choices Neil, although not sure about the uhc filter, you might also save yourself a few quid if you swap the 7mm eyepiece for a 2x barlow lens then the 40mm eyepiece could be used as a 20 mm and the 12mm as a 6mm although 6mm might be too much mag for the 127, can't remember what the focal length of 127 is.

Hi Rob, that's good advice.

I am very new to this and still getting my head around EP configurations but yes I would like a Barlow.

Unfortunately my money ran out and It, like a power tank is on my shopping list in the near future.

Can you recommend a good quality Barlow that is not silly money and will work well with the 127?

The 127 has a focal length of 1500mm, 1.25" EP fitting.

Neil.

Guest CodnorPaul

Sorry about previous post - on phone! Don't get a power tank - awfully expensive for what they are. Leisure batteries are much better value and do the job. There are loads of threads on here so have a search before buying.

Great starting set up though - exciting times!

Hi,

Congrats on taking the plunge ..... you do of course realise that your astro shopping/wish list will never be complete!  :lol:

Just my thoughts .........

Having started with a SW Skymax 127 I would agree with the earlier comment that the 7mm is unlikely to get a massive amount of use.  Something to fill the cap between the 12mm and 40mm would probably be a better fit.   A 2x Barlow would help but with your current ep's it's probably going to be used mostly with the 40mm.

This FoV calculator may help with your decisions   http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php  (this is the newer V2 'beta' of the calc) - Your scope & eps' are included in the drop down lists.

Or you could try a zoom eyepiece.   I bought cheap 7-21mm zoom for about £50, it's a looooong way short of the quality of the top end zoom EP's (but also a lot cheaper) and I still use it now.     Celestron do an 8-24mm for about £84 or another 8-24mm for almost £225.  No prizes for guessing which one is the better quality!

I found mine very useful to fill the gaps when starting out and great if 'hopping' around the skies as you don't need to change ep's all the time.  

More importantly, when you get a feel for what focal lengths you use the most it's easy to purchase a better quality ep of a fixed focal length. I found it cut down on much of the guess work.   I would also consider the red dot finder/Telrad.  I found this a huge help and again it still gets used. 

You may also want to consider a solar filter for white light views of the sun, they're not very expensive (about £26 for a pre-made one or cheaper if you make your own) and will let you view sun spots  ... Just make sure you check the usual safety advice for solar viewing!   There is a SGL link here showing someones first attempt with the same scope as you ..... imaged with an iPhone.

Of course the £££ of these things all add up - the most important thing is that you get out and make the most of your current equipment and any clear skies (now there's wishful thinking).

Al

a good but reasonable priced barlow might be a revelation 2x, barlows usually crop up fro sale on astro buy and sell fairly regularly 

Ok so what's the score with Baz's batteries?

Failing that what type of leisure battery do I need?

.....and so it begins....

Guest CodnorPaul

The famous Baz batteries are no longer available but a small leisure battery in a basic box with 12v socket will do - about 50Ah will be plenty for your set up (and more) with a trickle charger, and a lot cheaper than a powertank

I'm afraid Baz battery's are no longer available unless someone on here is giving one away (not allowed to be sold). As for leisure battery's, what size depends on what you intend to power?

Guest CodnorPaul

Oh - and you want a sealed lead acid leisure battery, no other type. Again there is a thread on here re type of battery but failing that ask Baz - great guy and knows his stuff