• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M51 Drizzle with DSS

Allan the Plumber

Just finished processing M51 using various sessions from June and May and processing in DSS 

After several processing disaster i decided to read the help files as i needed to get a base point to start from again as i'd changed several of the settings in my quest to get  the best out of both my data and DSS  so i  decided to read up on what settings to use.

Found that if you have a laptop/computer with a good processor and especially if using a large field DSLR that using the custom rectangle that you can drizzle

Image here explains

14483245524_f1955532ec_o.jpgDSS drizzle explanation by ayounghares, on Flickr

Well its worked for me 

14297681989_8963829d15_o.jpgM51 Drizzle DSS by ayounghares, on Flickr

original below

14249718456_147f7e4fa6_o.jpgM51 by ayounghares, on Flickr 

Edited by Allan the Plumber

good result Allan,

if you use the drizzle box, 2x or 3x ( click on screen and drag the box around the target ) it will work with a fairly decent computer, if you try full frame drizzle then it`ll struggle and usually says not enough memory when it has gone half way though stacking the subs, it`s a good feature on canon cameras as you still get lots of area around the target when it`s cropped.

good result Allan,

if you use the drizzle box, 2x or 3x ( click on screen and drag the box around the target ) it will work with a fairly decent computer, if you try full frame drizzle then it`ll struggle and usually says not enough memory when it has gone half way though stacking the subs, it`s a good feature on canon cameras as you still get lots of area around the target when it`s cropped.

Yeah Rob found that tried to do full image and as you say came up with an error report read on and found as you mentioned the "custom rectangle offering either 2x drizzle or 3 find if processing galaxy etc image very small and when cropped and size increased all that happens is any pixelation increased still not sure if I've got the settings correct on processing but this has brought me the best option yet!

i`ll check my settings later, have tried lots of different settings over the last few years in DSS but now i set it to default and compute offsets to find the file with the biggest score, set that as the reference frame then stack automatic and set to kappa sigma clipping, i found that average was coming up with some horrible results, median isn`t bad either, but kappa sigma clipping seems to get rid of any artefacts 

Guest Philmarriott

Looks good Allan. I'm just about ready for some imaging and guiding but still not had the opportunity to get out.

Looks good Allan. I'm just about ready for some imaging and guiding but still not had the opportunity to get out.

Know how you feel have a brand new GT81 and 314l+ Atik sitting in a box gagging to use thanks for feed back Phil