• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M27 - The Dumbbell Nebula - My first real attempt

Guest VikN46

Guest VikN46

Hi all,

Well this is my first real attempt at DSO imaging and with my new Modded 600D using the astronomik CLS Clip filter, guiding was my best yet. Completely experimental but I feel I am finally getting somewhere although my processing still needs work! :)

SW 150 PDS, EQ5 Pro Synscan GOTO.

Guiding: SW ST80 and QHY5

Modded Canon 600D with CLS clip filter

Using: BYEOS, PHD, DSS and trial version of Photoshop.

Guiding was my best yet.

All at ISO 400:

10 x 60s lights 5 x 60s darks

10 x 30s lights 5 x 30s darks

5 x 120s lights 2 x 120s darks

2 x 180s lights 1 x 180 darks

1 x 240s lights 1 x 240s darks

Any tips, help, criticism appreciated it all helps to improve but I am starting to love my 150 PDS and Camera and starting to get images I wanted as a total imaging beginner.

Anyway here are my version of M27 :) Thanks for looking!

Cropped M27 -

14319734127_8d939e67a3_c.jpgM27 1.2 PAINT SHOP PRO by VikN46, on Flickr

Normal M27 -

14319663557_5a0cbb765c_c.jpgM27 1.2 PS1 by VikN46, on Flickr

Edited by VikN46

Excellent image, well done that man!! :)

Sorry Vicky, early in the morning!!

Edited by Ron Clarke

or lady :D !

You will have to forgive Ron, he has reached ripe old age today! :D

Guest peepshow

Wonderful cropped imge looks like a planet with oceans.

One can nearly make out the UK. :)

Dumbbell should be called The Planet nebula.

Guest bramleyd

Some very nice detail and definition in this image - the guiding has clearly worked well and the Hydrogen Alpha is being picked up very nicely by the modded sensor :thumbsup:

In terms of post processing I would try to work on the background colour to remove the green. This will be easier on the cropped version  where the gradient is less pronounced.

A good tip for this in photoshop is to use the pippette tool. Select the pippette and in the toolbar select a 3x3 average sample size. Then hold the shift key, and then select 3 or four areas of background in the picture (not stars or nebula). The colour information for each point will be displayed in the info window. The goal is to try and get the red / green / blue values to an even level which will create a neutral looking background.

Use the Colour Balance adjustment tool to play around and level the colours out.

You've definitely proved that there is plenty of potential in the new camera though! Some fun times ahead!

Cheers

Dom

looks alot better Vicky, i`ll try that tip myself, well done on the real effort, 

Guest northernstar

Looks good.....I have yet to take any pics of anything celestial yet. I think I have the necessary basic kit now, just need to get my head around how to do it.