• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Exactly what is an NEQ6 made up of ?

Graham

Hi all

I am in the middle of doing a service and belt mod on a NEQ6 for someone and it crossed my mind some of you folks might like to see exactly what makes an NEQ6 tick.

So here you are.

One fully stripped down NEQ6 laid out ready for cleaning before I  rebuild it.

The main body is still attached to the pier on the bench so I did not include it in this photo.

STRIPPED%20DOWN%20NEQ6%20012.jpg

Guest peepshow

Now I find that very interesting, especially seeing  2 tapered roller bearings.  Thanks for that.

First time I have seen a quality mount's innards, not having ever had any commercial mount.

But I would have expected to see 2 worm and wheels, (RA and DEC axis). I can only see one.

Maybe the other one is within the white casting?

The one I can see looks to be very small.

Edited by peepshow

Now I find that very interesting, especially seeing  2 tapered roller bearings.  Thanks for that.

First time I have seen a quality mount's innards, not having ever had any commercial mount.

But I would have expected to see 2 worm and wheels, (RA and DEC axis). I can only see one.

Maybe the other one is within the white casting?

The one I can see looks to be very small.

Hi Richard

There are two there.

Click on the photo for a full sized image to see better.

I'm surprised that the motors and gears are so small for that loading but they must last OK, but how long?

Value engineering or whatever they call it...

Ade

Guest peepshow

Ah, thanks Graham, now I see them.

Such tiny worm and wheels could lead to potential backlash and play problems, methinks.

if I were building such a mount my wheels for the worm would be at least 8 inches dia and

probably the worm heavily sprung loaded onto the wheel too......

.......never mind the cost. :D

Ade, the stepper motors are OK as there is a very big step down in gearing between

the stepper motor shafts and the RA and DEC axis.

Eddy, all you need to re assemble it is a large hammer and a big arm muscle. :lol:

Edited by peepshow

If it had been me i would be saying "why have I got these two screws/bolts left over"  :D

Nice one Graham - perhaps you should do a "You Tube" "How To" if you haven't done so already and earn some extra wonga and get some more advertising for your great work.

Guest peepshow

If it had been me i would be saying "why have I got these two screws/bolts left over"  :D

Maybe Graham keeps all the left over parts in those drawers. :lol: