• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Scopes

Guest Tweedledum

Guest Tweedledum

Having just sold my 10" SCT. I will be looking for two scopes after due diligence (!).

Hope to get a 12" (+) sct and an f7ish 120mm (+) APO frac. Pier for the garden.

So the dilemma is which mount, and is there a pier that will be suitable for both scopes , and if any of you good folk have experience of a large sct on a NON fork mount.??.

Help & advice greatfully recieved.

Cheers

Damian

What's the budget Damian? You have to be talking NEQ6 Pro or Celestrom CGEM minimum but it sounds more like we could be in Paramount teritory here lol. :)

Agreed if you are mounting a 12" sct you are going to need minimum EQ6 and that's for visual if imaging I would say bigger then that maybe the new EQ8, Ioptron, Paramount, or an Losmandy either way there's a lot of money in a mount.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Mick,

The compromise for me is between the 80lb lump that was the forks and ota of the LX200, and the great optics. The LX90 tube is ok but the forks are pants.

I don't want two lots of mounts, the Meade LX800 mount looks good but is too new to have had the meade electronics bugs removed & I am not beta testing it for them :P at 6k.

So it has to be mount for two scopes that will fit on a pier or maybe just a CGEM mount for both.???

Cheers

CGE Pro will handle the 12" and give you more change than a Paramount. OK it wont have the kudos of the Para but its still one heck of a mount and you can buy your apo with the difference. I have the old CGE in my observatory and they can handlealot of scope, C14s with ease

Phil

Guest Tweedledum

oops hit send.Phil, thats exactly whats needed, cannot do two expensive mounts, the same mount must be capable of handling both ota's. I have a bit of leaning to the iOptron, have seen one with the extension on it to take the sct. Might be fun to mount both at the same time though !! :D

Guest Tweedledum

That looks a bit of a beast Mick! I am torn between the ease of the fork and the something like the IEQ45. I am sure I have seen in the USA a tripod with a head extension which then had a large capacity mount similar to a large cube!.

Cheers

I'm sure you already know but it's not an APO but it does have four lenses and is only F5.7 so with a reducer inserted into the light path could be a fast imager but will not be as good as an APO.

Yup - those were the words that put me off too "Not a true Appo" - you can get a "true appo" for the money they are asking for it :)

Guest Tweedledum

Cor, thanks for swift responses chaps. Slowly settling for that size refractor and poss a lx80 / ioptron mount and large SCT. I am not really concerned about imaging. Leave that to the folk with the skill & patience.!!

Cheers

• 6 months later...
Guest astrojohn

The TV NP101 is a 4 element Petzval design ( ie it doesn't have a triplet) , but would anyone say it's not an Apo??

Couple of things I don't get though, if it has 4 elements, with one at the rear, where are the other 3? ( ie is the front end a doublet or a triplet? )

and what exactly is meant by "Petzval like" ?

It's obviously not giving true Apochromat performance though, as the supplier himself talks about "blue halos around bright stars" !!

From info I have found on the web it is described as "a well corrected Achro, with an extremely flat field."

They are described as having the elements grouped in two groups of two, but there looks like a fair bit of space between the lens.

I'll have to convince the Bride that I need one for serious research.