• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

47 Tucanae from South Derbyshire

philjay

Yep you read it correctly

As the weather has not been playing ball and when it does I'm not up to doing much in the way of imaging I decided to rejuvenate my account with GRAS or ITelescope as they are called now and use their Tak Sky90 in Siding Springs.

So at 23:43 tonight :D (Aussie time is 10 hours ahead) I started a run on scope T13 on an object as far from the moon as the scope would allow. NGC104 or 47 Tucanae as its otherwise known. This is a 5 minute run just to test me on the system and it and me seemed to work OK.

The image is washed out slightly due to moon and being very low, I had to wait 30 minutes for it to clear the observatory wall but its a first attempt and only cost me 3 points due to moon discount.

image1.jpg

Details of the lovely gear we mere mortals can only dream about

CCD:  SBIG ST2000XMC

One Shot Color CCD

OTA: Takahashi SKY90

Focal Length: 417mm

F/Ratio: f/4.6

Guiding: Internal

Mount: Paramount PME

I have always wanted to see 47 Tucanae and at the mo theres no way I shall do it in the flesh so to speak so this is the next best thing.

Yes I know its cheating :)  but apart from the odd bit of solar in between clouds this is the only imaging I can get to do at the moment with clouds, light nights and stuff

Edited by philjay

That's cheating :lol:

Nice shot of something different. I can see a few advantages, setting up and packing away and the lack thereof being one of them.

Yep, it was my 1st choice but was within 40 degrees from the gibbous moon so I chose 47 Tuc as it was almost due south and mikes away from the moon

That's a nice glob, excellent stuff.

Even if it is cheating. ;)

Ta folks cant wait for the moon to get out the way but then I will have to queue for a time on the scope no doubt.

Actually I was watching the script for the imaging run someone was doing before me and they were imaging an object 30 degrees from lunar, the script warned them lunar was a bit close but they carried on. The image was only slightly more washed out than mine so I reckon a lot of noise on my shot was because 47 Tuc was just peeking over the obs wall