• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Guest clairec

Guest clairec

Hello,

My name is Claire, i am 30 years old and always had a fascination with the stars and galaxy. My partner (Anthony 31 years old) and I would like to become involved in a stargazing group however we are complete beginners and do not own a telescope or anything. Our interest has arisen from taking walks/camping and gazing up at the night sky, but that is as far as it goes. Would this group be something that is a good starting point or is it for people who actually know what they are doing??

Thanks,

Claire

Guest fondofchips

Hi Claire & Anthony, welcome to EMS.

Beginners are welcome, only been doing stargazing for 18 months myself, you will get a lot of help & advice from the very friendly members of EMS.

Clear Skies.

Harry.

Guest VikN46

Hi and welcome to EMS,

Its definitely a forum for everyone and they are friendly bunch too, so ask away and someone will be able to offer advice and help where needed!

Vicky :)

welcome

yes i was a beginner not so long ago.  but you should also look for a local astronomical society too, as they will have regular meets even if the

weather is poor.  I am sure someone will point you in the direction of one where you are.  We get together when the weather is clear, which

has not been very often of late :(

Sheila

Hi welcome aboard from a former wooly back! Come along to a meet next time ones on, and have a look what's about. We're a friendly bunch who are happy to help. Enjoy the forum.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Claire,

Welcome to EMS. If you have not done so download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium its great and free to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/  this will help guide you round the sky and show locations of planets galaxies and nebula. Also try a couple of books 'turn left at orion' and ' sky&telescope pocket star atlas'.

This is a great place to start, especially don't part with hard earned cash for a scope until you have come along to a meet and see what other folk have and what might suit you best. Although the weather gods have been conspiring against us along with the longer days.

Cheers

Hi Claire, a warm welcome to EMS.

We all started just looking up, and that's all you need to get the bug. We all were beginners once, and all it takes is time and a bit of luck with the weather. A pair of binoculars is a step up from just your eyes, and will get you going, there are some good bino objects about. 

After that you will be wanting to get your hands on a scope. There are loads on the market, and they aren't all created equally. I would suggest you come along to a meet, and have a look at what might suit your budget, where it will fit in your house and car, and your own carrying capacity. 

Feel free to ask any questions you might have, someone will be along to help.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum. :)

Guest clairec

Thanks guys for the welcome. I would be interested in joining a local society in/near Leicester so I can go along to a meet up and see what it is all about. Any suggestions welcome.

Claire

Hi guys and welcome from another Leicester member.....

I've only been into the hobby for some 7 months and this group has helped me so much....

The biggest problem is what to buy first time - a minefield so don't hurry and ask for advice. 

A Dosonian Newt worked wonders for me......

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...