• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC7822 in Ha (WIP)

xanthic

The first clear sky I've been able to make use of for about 2 months! Carpe Noctis? I decided to try NGC7822, which sits between Cephus and Cassiopeia. It's a star forming region, with pillar of creation/elephant trunk structures. I managed to grab 3 hours worth of Hydrogen alpha.The Ha needs about double the data again I think and will hopefully get the OIII and SII channels for this region too.

12 x 900 Ha, 30 flats and 50 bias stacked in DSS. Deconvoluted in CCDSharp (need a better tool for this) and curves done in Paintshop Pro.

xbcktkzkmh05c27ael20.png

25 x 900 (6.25 hours). Much less grainy now :)

v5po4bbbgzvdhh2hw8ql.png

Edited by xanthic

That is lovely and an unusual one :thumbsup: .

I think you have the middle bit there called Sharpless 171 or Cedarblad 214. The whole of NGC7822 is several times bigger and spans about 3 degrees.

That star cluster just left of middle is Berkeley 59 which is embedded in the nebula about 3000 light years away.

Nice one Leigh, like that a lot! One of my targets for late Summer! :)

Quick update - added more Ha data. Will try for oxygen next time around.

Thanks Sheila. I was wondering whether or not to go for more Ha subs but I'm itching to be able to create a colour image! :)

I know it's tempting but get as much ha as you feel you can. Then the same

Amounts of Sii and Oiii