• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wilkos sticky backed velour

philjay

Hmmm I popped into Wilkos and bought a roll of the Velour finish stuff and I must say I am not impressed as far as using it for flocking.

In no way is it flat black, its semi matt sticky backed plastic with no flocking material on it at all.

It does not compare at all to the protostar which is properly flocked. I may use it for matt blacking non optical surfaces but not internally on tubes.

Phil

Cant be totally sure but it was labelled up as velour finish and the only other black stuff was gloss black and this was very glossy. So I can only presume its the stuff folks have been using. Ill take a comparison snap later with some of it compared to protostar so you can seewhat it looks like

Phil

If you have a look on flo's website Phil, they sell the same stuff as Wilkinsons sell, I've been to my local store but they don't sell it but you can order it from wilkos website and they will send it to your nearest shop for collection free of charge

D C Fix is the brand of stuff I used. Same as Wilko's finest and FLO, but I got mine off eBay in a 900mm wide roll 1m long. It's got a velvet feel to it and is definately the same stuff as FLO sell. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Here £9.99 a metre 900mm wide

Edited by Perkil8r

Yep Rob looks like it I shall check the stock number but I reckon its the same.

Its not flocked just a smooth satin matt vinyl which is not flatt black like protostar at all

Phil

The stuff I got is definately flat black and has a velour texture, it's the same as the wilko stuff just off a bigger roll. Sounds like you have the wrong stuff TBH, maybe incorrectly packaged even?

I've just paid a visit to Derby's Wilco's and saw both kinds of the velour. Sure enough the stuff Phil saw is smooth and satin very very very very very dark grey. They also had the darkest black, like my soul, velvety type. I bought the last two rolls.

I've just paid a visit to Derby's Wilco's and saw both kinds of the velour. Sure enough the stuff Phil saw is smooth and satin very very very very very dark grey. They also had the darkest black, like my soul, velvety type. I bought the last two rolls.

Th very same stuff I used to flock my 200p yesterday. I got the last of it too :)