• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi everyone, just saying hello

Guest Geth

I'm from Leicester and a newbie. I bought a Lidl's refracter scope, but not used it much until now. Anyhow I recently managed to see moons around jupiter and maybe getting hooked? I am thinking about upgrading to sky watcher 130p refecter with either synscan go to or an autotrak. What's the best, am I doing the right thing. I have a lapton with a philips toucan 900 webcam. Any suggestions appreceated.

Many thanks Geth

Hi Geth, welcome to EMS.

What do you intend to do with your scope, as since you mention the webcam, you may be getting involved with imaging.

Iam not much use on that front, as I do visual only, but Iam sure others will advise what would suit you.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Welcome to EMS Geth. I am Leicester based also. Am very new to this too. Only been doing it since boxing day really. Have got a nice skywatcher 200p Dobsonian and celestron 15x70 Binoculars that I use. I only really do visual stuff at the moment and am still trying to learn the night sky. Hope you get on ok. Really friendly bunch on here, helped me no end.

Felix

Welcome to EMS Geth, it's funny how as soon as someone buys a Lidl scope they then move on to something else I wonder why :lol:

You have came to trhe best place for seeking advice, just ask any relevant question in the beginners section and you will get lots of replies.

I am delighted with the welcome, it's very nice. I think I shall go for the AZ synscan as my aligning the scope is poor. I hope tht does not offend the purists?

Many thank Geth

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Darren,

Welcome to EMS, no purists here only want folk to save and not buy Argos / Jessops kit and then have to buy again!!.

Cheers

I'm from Leicester and a newbie. I bought a Lidl's refracter scope, but not used it much until now. Anyhow I recently managed to see moons around jupiter and maybe getting hooked? I am thinking about upgrading to sky watcher 130p refecter with either synscan go to or an autotrak. What's the best, am I doing the right thing. I have a lapton with a philips toucan 900 webcam. Any suggestions appreceated.

Many thanks Geth

hi there Geth,

you want some advice on the Skywatcher 130p, i`ve had one, it was my first scope and the one in my avitar picture,

if you are worried about the alignment of the mount, don`t be, i had the autotrak and for this mount and scope i think thats all you need to pay, it`s amazingly easy to align, when you get it you put some simple longitude and latitude settings in, intructions tell you how, the when your out you simply point the scope at polaris, level the mount, turn it off and back on and your away, works fine and you save yourself a few quid, i also did some planetary imaging with my webcam with it and it worked fine using up to a 2x barlow, anything over that and the field of view was very small, but i did get up to a 3x barlow once with jupiter still in view.

the mount is very light so it won`t take alot of weight, but the scope is very good and easy to use, for the money i would always recommend it.

one thing to purchase is a mains or proper battery supply as the battery pack that comes with the unit takes 8 aa batterys but they don`t last that long.

all the best

Rob