• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flocking Hell!

catman161

Just finished flocking my 200p with the DC fix stuff from Wilkinsons. Man it took way longer than I thought it would. I am no expert but I think as a material for darkening the OTA it is pretty good, certainly an improvement on the grey paint that came with. I flocked the entire OTA in (annoyingly) 3 pieces. I say annoyingly as the two large pieces were only 4inches short of the full length of the OTA but hey what can ya do. I also went crazy for a few seconds when i had to unstick a section an i pulled a little too hard and teared the material down the middle forcing me to jump in the car and go and buy more!I also flocked the focuser tube.

Just needs collimating now. Hopefully Kim may be kind enough to let me borrow his Hotech ;). I have already asked him so that wasn't a blatant hint! That is also on my shopping list,in fact that list seems to be never ending! First image is before and second image is after. I know the second (flocked) image it looks grey however was just the light I assure you it is very black :).

Felix

Nice job Felix - if you'd like to bring it up to the house you can collimate it over a cuppa one evening this week. I'd like to see your flocked tube cos I'm on the verge of stripping the 300P down for flocking. I'll likely do it this weekend coming so would be nice to have a natter about it :)

Nice job Not as difficult as it seems is it?

I guess not but it was rather frustrating though! Quite satisfying once finished though :)

Nice job Felix - if you'd like to bring it up to the house you can collimate it over a cuppa one evening this week. I'd like to see your flocked tube cos I'm on the verge of stripping the 300P down for flocking. I'll likely do it this weekend coming so would be nice to have a natter about it

As I said in PM Kim will give you a call in a bit :)

All re collimated now (thanks Kim). Kim I doing his 300 flex this weekend also Steve. I'm not sure who started the recent flocking craze but it seems we're all doing it at the moment :)

looks great felix, can you give us some imformation about fiber shedding ?

does it shed fibers at all, ive heard that when cut it can shed.

looks great felix, can you give us some imformation about fiber shedding ?

does it shed fibers at all, ive heard that when cut it can shed.

I've not experienced fibre shedding at all really Rob. I cut it to size and just stuck it down. I was slightly out by about a millimetre at the top end of the OTA so took a very sharp craft knife (looks similar to a scalpel) and trimmed off the top. I used the same knife to cut out the focuser and bolt holes. I had a little look at it this morning and there were no fibres on the primary so,at present all looks good :)

All re collimated now (thanks Kim). Kim I doing his 300 flex this weekend also Steve. I'm not sure who started the recent flocking craze but it seems we're all doing it at the moment :)

I think it may have been me :rolleyes:

Got myself 2 rolls of the Wilkinson stuff today.

Did someone say they used some superglue on the edges?

Got myself 2 rolls of the Wilkinson stuff today.

Did someone say they used some superglue on the edges?

Yeah that was Rusty said that sometimes the edges require a little glue. I can't say how it will last but at present I cannot see the edges requiring glue on the wilkos stuff,it's solid as rock once you stick it down.only time will tell.

I just read a top tip for stopping flocking from shedding fibres - pinch your missus hair spray and give the inside of the tube a light coating :)

I just read a top tip for stopping flocking from shedding fibres - pinch your missus hair spray and give the inside of the tube a light coating :)

I don't think you'll need to, but it's a handy trick to have up your sleeve anyway. The Wilko-flock does shed a few fibres when cut, mostly I think because you slice through a few & chop 'em off. I've not found it a problem, but if you want to play it safe vacuum cleaner the edges before you get it near the scope. A lint roller or brush cleans it up nicely when its struck down.

Right that's mine done, what a job, started at 08.45 and have just finished 14.45.

I have used the Wilko's velour, and to be honest it looks good, proof being in the pudding and all that.

That's for another day as it still needs collimating and setting up again.

My backs killing me now as well, so I might have a wander down the Pub for some liquid embrocation.

Same here Martyn - nightmare job - ripples galore and an untidy mirror edge to straighten yet. Deffo darker though right down the tube - I'm expecting big things lol :)

Backs killing me too lol

Good work guys. I had first light with mine the other night and its worth the effort :)

Edited by catman161

I'll post piccys tonight, but it really does make a difference. I followed advice from Dave JW, with regard to the flanges and it doesn't look too bad.

In bright sunlight, when I started, the whole tube lit up, but turning it into sunlight afterwards, only the part with direct sunlight on it glowed.

I just need to sort out the collimation again.

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi guy,s, not meaning to dampen any flocking ardour here as you seem to be having some sticky fun , but I was thinking of using an ultra flat black spray to darken my tube while I send the mirror to be recoated , so I found this site a while ago. www.wolfarmouries.co.uk they sell===Krylon military grade ultra flat black non reflective camouflage paint in spray can,s at £8 a can . Don,t know what you guy,s paid for the flocking material but spraying sounded easier to me , does any one have opinions or learned preferences ??? would appreciate any info as to the best method for comparisons , just to upgrade my ignorance.

regards Dan

Hi guy,s, not meaning to dampen any flocking ardour here as you seem to be having some sticky fun , but I was thinking of using an ultra flat black spray to darken my tube while I send the mirror to be recoated , so I found this site a while ago. www.wolfarmouries.co.uk they sell===Krylon military grade ultra flat black non reflective camouflage paint in spray can,s at £8 a can . Don,t know what you guy,s paid for the flocking material but spraying sounded easier to me , does any one have opinions or learned preferences ??? would appreciate any info as to the best method for comparisons , just to upgrade my ignorance.

regards Dan

In a word, no. However, the flat black that telescope tubes seem to be painted with as standard is not particulary great. Maybe you could mask off an area & apply some of the new stuff & see how it compares?

I'd be wary of it. Although it might well be very matt, you are applying it to a smooth surface, I don't see that it would be as matt as you would hope for. It would be very matt if viewed straight on no doubt, but at an angle I'd suspect it would still allow light to bounce off with it being so smooth. The velour stuff has a very fine texture which I figure stops the light from bouncing off at an angle as well as from straight on if that makes sense? My 200p was painted with very matt black paint inside, (I think the chap before me had done it with blackboard paint as there was evidence that it wasn't stock), and whilst it was very matt it still allowed light to bounce around, the flocking made a big difference.