• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flocking Hell!

catman161

Here's what mine looked like before and after, it does make a difference and where in the first one the light pretty much did as it pleased, after flocking it stopped any reflective bounce.

Before.jpgAfter.jpg

Yes,I did it with Wilko's velour. It's a heck of a job, I underestimated how long it would take, by a long way. I also foolishly decided I was going to do it all in one go, somehow saving me time!

I did do it, but it killed my back, (old slipped disc thing going off, so I have to be a bit careful)

It had better be worth it.

Does that qualify for the Blue Peter one hundred and one uses for sticky backed plastic award? :D

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi guy,s , do appreciate the feedback,===I can certainly see now what all this enthusiasm about flocking with velour type covering is.

And very logical too.

Beg,s the question then , seeing the difference in daylight is all too obvious as the amount of light is intense, but at night? is there a noticeable difference at the eyepiece in the way of contrast, my logic tell,s me there is but would like to know all the same. in reference to this I,m talking of away from light sources i.e. dark sites as where I live the light sources are a big problem bouncing off the tube interior, or is this objective primarily to increase contrast in a light pollution zone only ??

thank,s puzzled Dan

I thought about that too Dan - I've had some pretty contrasty views at Kelling in the pitch black of night without flocking. But for me the purpose was to block out street lights in the back garden or on the drive. Also for Sawley which isn't quite as dark as Belper. I'm popping a camping mat dewshield on too - might even flock that with the Wilko stuff :)

I did stick a bit of black felt opposite the eyepiece and that helped no end, Iam hoping this will get me a bit better result from my garden, which really suffers from LP.

I think that you have to look at the scope as being a "light amplifier," with unwanted light also getting a boost and causing unwanted interference.

Guest black eyed hexy

thanks guys I,ll be off to wilkos then!! unless one of you know a better source, I did read somewhere that someone sprayed the flocking with flat black as well, maybe a bit over the top eh! we have overhead power supply here, and I,m really tempted to climb up the pole and install a remote switching device lol.

My solid tube is 5 1/2 foot long so got some slimming to do, unless there is a unique technique, anybody??

Someone, somewhere mentioned the Wilko stuff (D C Fix) is available in 1 metre x 900mm rolls off ebay.

I took mine out the packet and rolled it so the sticky side faced out, put it in the tube and it tries to expand out, marked it, cut it, then rolled it fairly tight and peeled off about 2 inches of the sticky back cover at a time and fixed it nice and smooth, 2 inches at a time. The ends overlapped by about 1/2 inch.

I also flocked the eyepiece drawtube, this was harder than the main tube!

Edited by andyboy1970

Someone, somewhere mentioned the Wilko stuff (D C Fix) is available in 1 metre x 900mm rolls off ebay.

I took mine out the packet and rolled it so the sticky side faced out, put it in the tube and it tries to expand out, marked it, cut it, then rolled it fairly tight and peeled off about 2 inches of the sticky back cover at a time and fixed it nice and smooth, 2 inches at a time. The ends overlapped by about 1/2 inch.

I also flocked the eyepiece drawtube, this was harder than the main tube!

That'd be me lol. it's Here 900mm wide and per metre @ £9.99 did my 200p in one piece (not to be reccomended to those of a nervous disposition) and had enough left over for the draw tube and a few odds n ends too, not that I've done any odds n ends, but there's some left for if I find anything I fancy doing.

I worked from both ends even on mine. I found it easiest to leave it in the mount but kept the rings loose so I could stick a bit at a time, leaving the rest hanging down. If you do get bubbles, push them towards an edge or hole in the outside of the tube such as focuser etc. If you can't get them out, do the best you can then pierce them with a sharp blade and work the air out from the edges towards the piercing.