• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Very surprising, G11 users be aware.

Guest peter shah

Guest peter shah

I havent imaged anything for a while. Ive had a few mount issues ive been working through. First thing, what i thought was dodgy RA cable, was actually a bad motor. After getting a replacement from Losmandy i found another problem with the guiding again with the RA, its been giving a very uneven and lumpy graph, Ive stripped down the worm gear arrangment to give it a clean, only to find the new bearings, which i only installed a year and a half ago, to be worn out.......Im thinking the humidity has had something to do with it or possibly dirt....ive ordered some new ones with a rubber seal, but i think i might try getting some ceramic bearings.

Im just amazed how quickly they have worn out.

cheers

peter

Something is not right there Peter, at the speed the RA shaft turns bearings should last a lifetime. In work we have bearings that run at 9000 RPM and they have been doing so for years.

Guest peter shah

Something is not right there Peter, at the speed the RA shaft turns bearings should last a lifetime. In work we have bearings that run at 9000 RPM and they have been doing so for years.

well thats what im thinking, but It does have to put up with goto speeds and the mount gets extremely wet with dew, its always out in the Obsy. Plus its at its limit with the weight of the AG12, or it could just be a dodgy bearing, it seems its only one thats feels gritty.

do you know anything about ceramic bearings?

I agree it could be a mixture of all those faults. Ceramic bearings have a very low coefficient of friction so they reduce friction and thus can run at higher speeds, they are far more superior to normal bearings. Also being made of ceramic which is glass based they don't rust so shouldn't be affected by the dew. I would say they are a great upgrade to normal steal bearings.

I had trouble with the bearings on mine a couple of them were really bad

I changed them for skateboard bearings in the end

I also took a motor out as well

I stripped it down and got it going again as it had a couple of dry solder joints

I think I still have a couple of worms as well somewhere

such a pity they did not go a little further as this could have been a cracking mount with a better motor(a new motor only cost me 15USD) and worm blocks

Guest peter shah

I had trouble with the bearings on mine a couple of them were really bad

I changed them for skateboard bearings in the end

I also took a motor out as well

I stripped it down and got it going again as it had a couple of dry solder joints

I think I still have a couple of worms as well somewhere

such a pity they did not go a little further as this could have been a cracking mount with a better motor(a new motor only cost me 15USD) and worm blocks

I know the mount broke down but its so easy to fix and get parts for.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Pete,

Are the bearings / shafts different metals?? Any chance of some anodic corrosion going on, you may not notice until the metal has gone?.

LX now with another body, am looking for a 12" / 14" possibly not on a fork.

Cheers

Guest peter shah

Hi Pete,

Are the bearings / shafts different metals?? Any chance of some anodic corrosion going on, you may not notice until the metal has gone?.

LX now with another body, am looking for a 12" / 14" possibly not on a fork.

Cheers

Dont know...These are sealed bearings very small, more likely poor quality