• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Some new images.

Guest ollypenrice

Guest ollypenrice

These have been done recently with our guests, using the twin Tak tandem which has the advantage of incredible speed. The North America and LBN 1333 are single night captures while NGC6914 took two nights. It's very faint and has time-sapping dark nebulosity. For a glorious week after the next full moon Tom O'Donoghue will be here and we'll have three 106 Taks and full frame cameras on the go. Madness!

LBN1333. Lots of stars!!

LBN133%20WEB-M.jpg

NGC6914

NGC6914%20HaRGB%20WEB-M.jpg

This is an interesting object closer up; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-FrpWHL7/0/O/NGC6914%20HaRGB%20WEB.jpg

And needing no introduction from me...

NAN%20Pelican%20HaRGB%207Hrs-M.jpg

What's it like back home at the moment? Down here it is downright cold for the month of August, though still hot enough to swim in the lake etc.

Olly

lovely as usual Olly,

weather in the midlands is very warm at the moment, was in my obsy till 1am this morning in shorts and t shirt, but darker nights are starting to roll in at last 

For a glorious week after the next full moon Tom O'Donoghue will be here and we'll have three 106 Taks and full frame cameras on the go. Madness!

Perhaps i should visit then you would have 4 :lol:  5 if you count the tak 130 :D

lovely images as usual

Sheila

Guest ollypenrice

For a glorious week after the next full moon Tom O'Donoghue will be here and we'll have three 106 Taks and full frame cameras on the go. Madness!

Perhaps i should visit then you would have 4 :lol:  5 if you count the tak 130 :D

lovely images as usual

Sheila

Come on down! 

Olly

Absolutely superb detailed images.

I've not found another image of the first one anywhere on the internet, and I love to see these unusual ones!

I think LBN1333 is actually LDN1333.

In the early 1960's Dr. Beverly T. Lynds studied the Palomar Sky Survey plates and produced a catalog of 1125 bright nebulae, the LBN catalog, and another of 1802 dark nebulae, the LDN catalog.

Lynds Dark Nebula 1333 is roughly between epsilon Cassiopeia and Polaris positioned at RA 02 26 04 and DEC +75 28.5. This is one of the northernmost dark nebulae at +75 degrees but of course it is not too far north of the galactic plane where you would expect to find most of these types of object silhouetted against the dust and gas.

Perhaps Olly will correct me if I have that wrong.

Guest ollypenrice

Absolutely superb detailed images.

I've not found another image of the first one anywhere on the internet, and I love to see these unusual ones!

I think LBN1333 is actually LDN1333.

In the early 1960's Dr. Beverly T. Lynds studied the Palomar Sky Survey plates and produced a catalog of 1125 bright nebulae, the LBN catalog, and another of 1802 dark nebulae, the LDN catalog.

Lynds Dark Nebula 1333 is roughly between epsilon Cassiopeia and Polaris positioned at RA 02 26 04 and DEC +75 28.5. This is one of the northernmost dark nebulae at +75 degrees but of course it is not too far north of the galactic plane where you would expect to find most of these types of object silhouetted against the dust and gas.

Perhaps Olly will correct me if I have that wrong.

I think I just double hit the '3' key! I make the small blue reflection nebula LBN133, still. Possibly the dark one, or one of them, may be an LDN object as well. It seems likely. They also have vdB identities.

Glad you like them. They make a nice change and finding the starfield so dense, when you consider the view at the eyepiece, is pretty remarkable.

Olly