• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Skywatcher Auto focuser fitted to my Williams Optics GT81

red dwalf

isn`t it funny what you get up to when your board !

i was getting fed up with trying to focus the scope manually while trying to view the pc screen some 6-7 feet away with my slowly getting worse eyesight, so having a Skywatcher auto focuser spare i thought i would try fitting it to the scope which turned out to be alittle easier than i had thought due to some luck.

as they are now no longer needed, the focus lock and the focus tension grub screw have been used to hold the bracket to the bottom of the focuser, the tension grub screw being replaced with a suitable screw which i luckily had lying around.

removing the temp knob on the GT81 leaves a focus spindle with a lot of space around it before the baring which needs to be filled to support the spindle, luckily the Skywatcher auto focuser has a couple of little adapters with one the when turned round fits over the spindle and fills the remaining space to the baring perfectly.

not going to win any beauty awards but it does work very even with the extra weight of the new 7 x 1.25" filter wheel and the Atik 314L+ attached.

now all the equipment i.e. mount, cameras, focusers, filter wheel can be controlled from the pc,

roll on those clear cold winter nights !

thanks for looking and comments welcome, good or bad L.O.L.

cheers,

Rob

focuser002_zps7867a574.jpg

focuser001_zps90a9b3cf.jpg

focuser003_zps3447d817.jpg

Very nice rob :) auto focusing was the best thing I added to my setup when i had one.

thanks Felix,

still kicking myself for not buying your mount L.O.L.

looks like it`s gone to a good home though

I wouldn't worry about my mount rob-you've got a nice EQ6 already was just the belt and power socket mods that were the icing on the cake. To be honest without them the mount was still good :) Steven seems to be getting some good use out of it already

Not bad Rob :lol:  good job someone showed you how to remove the fast focus wheel eh mate !!!!!

indeed, Thanks for that Allan, i would certainly have struggled getting that knob off, couldn`t see how it was fastened at all. 

indeed, Thanks for that Allan, i would certainly have struggled getting that knob off, couldn`t see how it was fastened at all.

Lol. :-)

Edited by Allan the Plumber

You have made a nice job of that Rob, that's got to make life a bit easier for you. Roll on clear skies eh!

Thanks guys, will certainly make the focusing easier, trying to look at a tiny star on a PC screen 6 foot away to see if it was in focus while twidling the focus knob is not easy L.O.L

• 1 month later...

it`s well hidden but if you look at the bottom of the focuser bracket towards the end near the knob you will see a little hole, you then turn the focus knob until you can see the little allan key screw through the hole, insert allan key and loosen screw then knob will come off.

baffled me too.

Guest StevenWhatley
I wouldn't worry about my mount rob-you've got a nice EQ6 already was just the belt and power socket mods that were the icing on the cake. To be honest without them the mount was still good :) Steven seems to be getting some good use out of it already

That I am... Best Purchase I've made to date :)

Guest StevenWhatley

I haven't quite gotten round to the remote focuser yet but I use team viewer on my Samsung tablet to view my laptop screen when I'm at the scope :)