• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comet C/2014 E2 Jacques

wolfman_55

Thanks all. It's a difficult target as the tail is very faint and it moves surprisingly quickly across the sky as you can see from the star trails after just one hour,

Dave

Whilst at Wymsewold on Fri 22nd Aug 2014, I used my Canon 1100d for the first time, with help from Rob and Nick. I took multiple images of Cassiopiea and have not been able to learn how to stack them yet - another thing to learn.  But on inspecting the images, I think I have recorded comet Jacques? I have not re-imaged the area but expect to see the fuzzy blob to have moved on. Can anyone please confirm this is the comet and not a nebula or other faint DSO?  I think this image has the comet eclipsing a star, but difficult to tell without looking at detailed star maps.

Image was cropped, processed in Irfanview and MS photo manager.

It is a feeble attempt, and obviously not like the green images done using telescope.  I have uploaded the image to my Flickr account, first time used for years, so I hope I've managed to create a link properly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eastkeswick/14844090128/

Derek