• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Good book for birds

Rusty Strings

Hi chaps

Can any of you birding types recommend an all round good book for bird identification. The only one I have is a trusty observers book and I really could do with something more comprehensive. I've recently seen an RSPB book with appeared to be ok.

If you want a table top book, the best one is:

Complete Birds of Britain and Europe ISBN 978-1-4053-6193-4

Was £30 but I got it for £10 from WHSmith

Awesome book.

John, my bird 'bible' is Collins Bird Guide 2nd Edition by Lars Svensson (not cheap at £17.99!) I have used this since it came out in 1999! Good pictures in lots of poses and concise descriptions.Best book I have used in over 20yrs birdwatching!! (Life list of 320)

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke

That's the one we used at the wetlands centre at Burtonmere in cheshire. It looked good to me, guess I'm just checking.

If you have BBC HD on ch54 - Winterwatch is on right now and full of scrummy images and footage of birds, animals, and flowers :)

Hi all you twitchers, think thats the word or maybe it's birders ?? Please correct me if any of these terms are deemed derogatory :)

I have never done much birdwatching, and certainly haven't seen many in the back yard recently, despite having a bird table topped up with fat ball, seeds and meal worms. I too have the observers book (a 1969 edition), saved up my pocket money and bought it along with Observers book of Astronomy as a child, about 5 shillings and sixpence!

I would be interested to go for an afternoon out for a bit of a walk and to spot a few birds somewhere (Notts/Derbys area) with my 10x50s. Preferably with a cafe somewhere on route.

Maybe you can suggest somewhere my wife and I might go to see a few at this time of year.

Thanks, Pete.

Hi Doc,

thanks very much for that kind offer.

Would be good to have a guided tour by an expert like yourself.

I will probably take you up on that sometime soon.

Got at least all this weekend building flatpacks though :(

Cheers, Pete.

LOL I'm not an expert thats for sure.

We will sort something out, but at the moment I'm going through one of my auto immune flares so not feeling well at all.

Guest jasonbirder

Another vote for the absolutely impeccable Collins Bird Guide

If the price puts you off plenty of copies of the first edition around at reasonable prices online...

The differences between the two editions are not that substantive to most "everyday" users!