• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dead stars 'can re-ignite' and explode

stash

Thanks for sharing.

It annoys me when the BBC and other mainstream media get hold of these stories and report it as if it is a new discovery. This hypothesis is years old now.

I did a talk on this very process many months ago and the theory was years old then. I like that the BBC etc are reporting this stuff because it means that the public are getting drip fed some really good stuff, I just wish they wouldn't make it sound like it's new and revolutionary thinking or a new discovery all the time. I'm half expecting them to report that scientists have discovered that the Moon is not made of cheese, or that the Earth isn't actually flat :facepalm:

Edited by Perkil8r

Maybe I am being a bit harsh here. They have just found the evidence to prove the old theory, but often these stories are as I have just ranted about. I have to admit I skimmed it and didn't read it properly, now having done so and looked on various other websites too I see that this is the proof needed to rubber stamp the theory.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh here. They have just found the evidence to prove the old theory, but often these stories are as I have just ranted about. I have to admit I skimmed it and didn't read it properly, now having done so and looked on various other websites too I see that this is the proof needed to rubber stamp the theory.

"Maybe I am being a bit harsh here" - yep.

"They have just found the evidence to prove the old theory" - Theory's are useful but until proven they are just theories - if this is the proof then great another bit of the jigsaw proven (for now).