• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Best Free Software for DSLR's?

Perkil8r

One step at a time, that's my aim. I've taken a couple of quick snaps just to see what's what, so now to move on a tiny step, take 2 or 3 snaps and stack them. So with that in mind, what software would people reccomend me having for stacking and all the other bits and bobs?

I currently have PS Elements and am quite handy with it, I also have Corel Draw which you can do quite a bit with although that's mainly for creating work rather than editing photos.

Guest Kheldar

Stacking : Deep Sky Stacker (I feel Registax is more planetary but that's just my 2p)

Acquisition : consider Backyard EOS (my favourite) or APT : they are less than £15 each and very good at what they do :) However Canon Utilities is free and works :)

I use Astrophotography Tool (APT) and they sponsor our Picture of the Month.

DeepSkyStacker is the tool for stacking DSLR images.

Registax strips individual frames from webcam video (AVI's) and stacks them and is more suited for planetary imaging.