• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help with EQ Mount

Guest The_Bagel_Guy

Guest The_Bagel_Guy

Hello,

I've just bought a Sky-Watcher 130 on the EQ2 mount, learnt how to align it etc.

Just afew questions about the declination and ascension.

The ascension spins fairly easily even with the locknut done up and the dial spins with it when I use the slow adjuster.

The declination spins one way (clockwise) then returns on a spring of some sort. It has about 15 degrees of travel each way on the slow adjusters before it stops turning.

Are these things normal?

These may seem dumb questions but Untill a week ago I didn't even know what an EQ mount was.

Also there's some kind of lever, next to and behind the ascencion adjuster (wheel side not cable side) and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is meant to do? It doesn't seem to be connected to anything and it's got a sort of cam shaped lobe with a step in it.

Thankyou for any help!

Is the mount and scope new or used? I had an issue with my EQ5 where it could move quite easy even with the clutches done up, turns out the chap before me had greased them! The rest of it I'm affraid I don't know, but it doesn't sound quite right to me. Probably nothing serious though so don't panic.

The RA and Dec lock nuts are designed so the axes can be moved, when they are done up, using the slo mo controls. This is how you track an object. I've just scoured the manuals for a description of the lever with the cam and it seems to have been left out totally. Does it lock anything when you move it forwards or backwards?

I do understand that the Dec axis only has a limited movement on the EQ2 - approximately 30 degrees of throw so that sounds about right :)

Guest The_Bagel_Guy

The RA and Dec lock nuts are designed so the axes can be moved, when they are done up, using the slo mo controls. This is how you track an object. I've just scoured the manuals for a description of the lever with the cam and it seems to have been left out totally. Does it lock anything when you move it forwards or backwards?

I do understand that the Dec axis only has a limited movement on the EQ2 - approximately 30 degrees of throw so that sounds about right :)

I've scoured the manual aswell and it isn't mentioned anywhere, some of the pictures show it. But it doesn't seem to connect with anything when moved. it just hits a plastic spacer on the shaft behind the declination adjuster?

I did set up an EQ2 for Di's uncle once and the lever I seem to remember is used to engage the RA motor. If I recall it has a hole in it that attaches to a spring that pulls the motor up against a cog to turn the axis. The cam locks it in position against the drive cog. Did you get a motor with the scope?

Guest The_Bagel_Guy

I did set up an EQ2 for Di's uncle once and the lever I seem to remember is used to engage the RA motor. If I recall it has a hole in it that attaches to a spring that pulls the motor up against a cog to turn the axis. The cam locks it in position against the drive cog. Did you get a motor with the scope?

No motors with the mount, can't see any hole in it either. I'm still somewhat baffled but I'll look into whether it's something to do with the motor mount!

73649d1321803702-eq1-vs-eq2-scope-mount1.jpg

This is the lever I'm on about, to the right of the big wheel.

Ok, I've sorted it. It's for the more advanced R.A.motor. The basic one mounts the opposite side.

Edited by The_Bagel_Guy