• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sorry i've been quiet but....

Celeste

I've lost my Smokey, my boy.....my best friend. Smokey is my cat, i've had him for 7 years after getting him from a rescue farm. I'm devastated. He got ill over the weekend so I took him vets expecting a quick 'oh it's an abcess in his mouth' only to be told he was in kidney failure. We made the decision to let him go as he was too ill to come home. I'm in bits :'(

Sorry to hear that Nicky, we lost a cat to kidney failure, quite common I believe, not that it helps.

Sorry to hear that Nicky :(

I'm a cat owner myself, I know how it feels to lose one. They really do become a part of the family.

Hope you are ok.

Sorry to hear that :( I grew up with 15 cats throughout my childhood and had to deal with losing each one of them-it is never easy. I have 2 cats of my own Winnie & Gilbert,they really have their own personalities and become a part of the family. You have my sympathies :(

Thanks guys <3

Yeah he was one of the family, he was my boy, my ex used to call him my boyfriend as he was always with me, at bedtimes he was up the stairs faster than me waiting for me to get in bed so he could jump on me and curl up. Pets become like people don't they, you know their personalities, they know you. They comfort you when your upset....Smokey was great with that he would sit in my lap purring away for hours. When we had the snow 18 days ago I took a vid of him and Jingles (a 'borowed' cat) outside, looking at it now I still can't see anything that would suggest he was so ill. The vet said it would have been going on for months before I noticed anything. I feel upset for not spotting his illness, I should have seen it. I knew he was getting old, and with that cats slow down a bit and become more sedentary....I never thought it was becasue he was ill. Having to see him go downhill so fast, looking in his eyes that day at the vets I could see he was leaving me. I couldn't let him suffer anymore, he looked so weak :( I'll miss my Mr Smokey.....my boy...like mad. He isn't replacable.

sorry Nicky,

we had to have our cat put to sleep just before xmas due to a cancer related illness, i couldn`t take her to the vets knowing that we where going to put her down, but the wife was better than me at these things, but she did have a very good innings, she was 19 years old ! at one stage i thought she was going to outlive me L.O.L.

wife has now bought another ! ginger kitten thing, very friendly little thing.

i know it might be alittle soon but we`ve had a lost cat at our neighbours for a few weeks, very friendly little thing too, they are cat lovers but are retired so don`t want to keep it too much longer, if you want it let me know.

r s p c a don`t want anything to do with it as they are full with cats at the moment, even the local cat home can`t take any more,

Very sorry Nicky,

Don't beat yourself up about not spotting he was unwell, cats are really good at masking their problems, so it isn't easy to see.

We have five, and one of them keeps creaking along.

We have lost a few over the years, and it hurts, but we just find another one (or three) to give a home to.

We have always had cats, and always will, it doesn't help living less than a mile from the Cats Protection place.

Oh lord no it's deffo too soon to even think about having another....I have 3 girls still. Smokey was about 5 when I got him so he would have been 12.....Jessie was also a stray that was camping out under my brothers friends tree, she was only around 6-7 mths old and was out for a week in -5 and deep snow. RSPCA refused to have her as they were full (xmas time) so I said bring her here for a while until we find her an owner......well......4 years later she's still here :) She went on to have 4 kittens who are now nearly 4 years old, of which I kept 2 and my brother had the other 2. So I had 4 in total, now down to 3.....BUT.....I seem to have a stray cat magnet or something, cos I seem to get lots of cats coming in the house and staying for a while, one neighbours cat has decided to move in! She's been here about 5 weeks, goes out to do her business then comes in again, she's now the one who sleeps in bed with me lol. But I love cats anyway so it's all good with me.