• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC 1027

RonC

15177862351_8837225e44_q.jpg20140907NGC1027 by [email protected], on Flickr

NGC1027 located between the Heart and Soul Nebulae.

5x2 and 5x3 mins unguided under a full Moon + 7 darks

ED80+reducer/flattener, EQ5 pro EQMod. (a first)

More testing the rig than a serious image!

Edited by Ron Clarke

Nice one Ron. Matches with my observation pretty well.

I looked back through my notes to see if I had seen this one and found the following entry.

5.9.2009 Meade Lightbridge 16"

Next open cluster in Cassiopeia was Ngc1027, this cluster lies between IC18005 and IC1848. It's covers an area of 20'x20' but is very sparse and not very interesting when compared to the tighter clusters. One bright star of mag 9 was seen towards it's centre and the rest of the 30 stars observed are roughly mag 11 and form a rough circular shape, no nebulosity was detected nor colour in the stars found.

Guest Philmarriott

Oh I didn't realise you could or was supposed to? Is this better than all the same length ones? (Still learning that's all)

Phil

Not sure it makes a difference Phil, tend to start on shorter lengths, say 20-30 secs then do a few at say 1-2 mins and if there's no star trails then as long as possible. This is non-guided by the way, guided start at 3 mins then whatever I nned to get a good image! DFepends on the target as well!!

Cheers

Ron