• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

part of the Veil Nebula

red dwalf

3 hours worth of HA subs over the last couple of nights in 10 minute and 20 minute subs now my guiding is working again.

not the best seeing conditions and i think that has something to do with the small about of fluff around the brighter stars.

fairly happy with it though considering the conditions.

3 hours in total although i`m sure i took more, 19 flats added and 19 bias frames, Atik 314L+ camera cooled to -10 degrees,

stars looked alittle better stacked in Nebulosity 3 but it seemed to leave me with hot pixels, not the easiest program to use for processing so far so i used Deep sky stacker with kappa sigma clipping for the light frames and median for the flat and bias frames.

3hourveildssalteredphotoshopfinishedbest

Edited by red dwalf

thanks very much guys,

i`ve stopped using my bantinov mask for focusing now and have started relying on the Artimis and Nebulosity 3 focusing numbers, idea is to get the numbers to the lowest possible and it seems to be doing alot better than the mask did, my slightly oblong stars have all but gone, i think the image might have been alittle sharper if the seeing conditions over the last couple of nights had been better, at one stage i couldn`t see any but the very brightest stars in the sky so am fairly happy how this has turned out.  

Cracking detail in there.

Neb3 is a great bit of software if a bit little long winded.

I always use Translation + Rotation when stacking just in case there is any movement between images.

had a play with nebulosity and added the Oiii channel to the HA, wasn't 100% certain what channel to add the Oiii to as some pallets add it to the Green and some to the Blue so i added it to both channels, i could of added it to the Blue and made up a synthetic Green but i`m not sure how to do that either yet, so here`s the results so far.

going to have another try later stacking the images with deep sky stacker instead of nebulosity to see how they turn out.

veilnebwithhaandoiiifinishedinternet_zps

Edited by red dwalf