• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC 281 - Pacman nebula

Guest VikN46

Hi All,

I have spent every opportunity this week imaging the said object, despite the lovely moon spoiling things a little.

I really gave it my best with my limited set up and processing knowledge.

Taken using my usual stuff:

SW 150 PDS, EQ5 Pro Synscan GOTO.

Guiding: SW ST80 and QHY5.

Modded Canon 600D and coma corrector with CLS clip filter.

Using: BYEOS, PHD, DSS, Photoshop CC.

A total of 6 hours Light frames,

60 Flats

115 Bias

18 Darks

ISO 200 due to the moon.

Any comments, or advice and criticism appreciated.

15219064385_6144dd9633_n.jpgNGC 281 - PACMAN NEBULA by VikN46, on Flickr

Edited by VikN46

well done Vicky on the capture.

if your taking dark frames then i wouldn`t bother adding the bias frames, i`ve read that if you take noise away twice i.e. once in the dark frame and to some extent some in the bias frame then you end up adding it if that makes sense.

also no need to take so many flats and bias, 20 ish should be enough especially with flats as you just want a average, stack as median in dss and same with darks, and i like kappa sigma clipping for the lights as it removes some of the artefacts. 

Fully agree with Rob's comments, perhaps also a bit more red in the curves? Good image never the less Vicky, well done  :)

I have been playing with this image and re stacked using the above advice.

A total of 6 hours Light frames,

20 Flats

18 Darks

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice :)

I may of over done it on the red now but anyway here it is and as I am quite partial to a monochrome a black and white version.

15037600460_1b54f9e739_n.jpgNGC 281 - Pacman Nebula - REPROCESSED by VikN46, on Flickr

15201371956_4defdb2c8e_n.jpgNGC 281 - Pacman Nebula and a Black and White version by VikN46, on Flickr

and one less cropped

15211457386_d57bbcac39_n.jpgPacman Nebula NGC 281 - Uncropped final by VikN46, on Flickr

Edited by VikN46

Cracking image Vicky.

As said above, it has been said that darks contain bias already.

Also some mathematician somewhere worked out that odd numbers of darks in the 19 to 21 region is the optimal amount.