• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC7000 13-09-14

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

So last night I finally tried the ED80 out with the 0.8x Focal Reducer and CLIP CLS Filter (Once I remembered to fit them and an hour of subs oops) 

I'm not sure if it was just my sky or my camera but to be honest I was quite disappointed with all my results, I think the Moon made life difficult for me, I actually got PHD guiding correctly after Red Dwalf pointed out the Dec wasn't working (cheers for that) so redid my cal and it sorted its self out.. 

Any how this is my result from NGC7000 its made up of 2x 400s ISO 1600, 3x 360s ISO 1600, 2x 200s ISO 1600, 2x 60s ISO800.

Stacked is DSS and processed in PS.

What do you think guys :) 

15039087839_d026ab9b9a_b.jpgNGC7000-13-09-14 by stevenwhatley231284, on Flickr

Guest Philmarriott

Looks good. I did it too but not got round to processing it yet. Its a difficult one. All the info is there its just im trying to bring it out without making it look too processed :)

well it`s a learning curve, maybe some gradient removal might help it alittle but for me and being a Moon lit night i would go fro iso 400 and shoot loads of 2 or maybe 3 minute subs, check histogram, it`ll help you to see if you need longer subs or not.

had a little play with your image Steven and this was the best i could do,

15039087839_d026ab9b9a_b_zps4f127ab3.jpg

your histogram was way off for a start in photoshop, infact most of the blue channel had been clipped away and was hard over to the left hand side so that data had been lost, might have been able to get more out of it but it was only a jpeg image so your restricted a little with regards to stretching it, but the data is there.

Guest Tweedledum

Thtras a great shot steve. When I looked at where the 'light'was its crammed into two small ares so you have done a great job in extracting as much as you have. There was a good article in the S@N about stretching the histogram and that is what was needed here. :thumbsup:

Hey mate,

I took the liberty of downloading your TIF file and had a very quick stretch of the data in photoshop. Did you add calibration files to the stacked data? Darks, flats, bias etc?

You have a nice image there, I think it just needs more data. If you can, try getting another 20 x 5min exposures and add that to what you have. It will help bring up the SNR.

Phil

NGC7000.jpg

Guest StevenWhatley

Thanks guys, always useful seeing what others can do with the same data. I only added darks to the stack I still don't understand how to take flats and bias :/ I should probably buy a book on the subject :) advice is always welcome. I think I added about 10 darks to it. I will add all the data pre DSS into my Dropbox and share that just to see what others can do with them.

Hey with PS you could add Star Trek and a Klingon Warbird - they weren't in the original unprocessed picture either  :evil:  :D

Hey with PS you could add Star Trek and a Klingon Warbird - they weren't in the original unprocessed picture either  :evil:  :D

There's nothing added to a processed picture though, the data is there from the beginning ;)