• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader Hyperion Zoom

Guest Eddy

I happened to notice that it can have a thread adapter to go with a dslr adapter, does this mean you would get the zoom of 8mm-24mm as seen with your eyes through it or would it be no different than directly attaching it to the focuser

You can barlow it in the usual way, and fix a camera to the eyepiece end with the thread adaptor and T-ring. The thread is under the rubber eye cup guard. Try it without the barlow first - you should have enough magnification without barlowing, which will mostly magnify atmospheric imperfections and dim the object :)

Is mine the only Baader zoom that doesn't like the cold? Get stiff and difficult to rotate under -1C?

I find it does stiffen a little when the metal contracts in the cold, conversely when it loosens up in the warm there's a tiny rattle if you shake it. So long as you don't rattle it, take it to bits, and move to fixed stop when it's a little tight, all remains well. It may possibly be the grease in the lens screw inside going a tad gunky - but I'd check with Baader or Lee at Greenwitch for a solution if it bothers you too much Ron.

It's a bit like when eyepieces jam in compression rings if you leave them in the scope all night - or objectives pinching in sever cold - just an unfortunate by product of the hobby :)