• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 not working with laptop

Guest Apophis

This has been an ongoing issue for my grandad and I for well over a year now.

We have a HEQ5 mount and laptop running windows 8.1. We're hoping to run the mount off cares du ciel for observing and imaging. We've downloaded and installed the Ascom platform and EQmod software yet we can't get CdC to register that the mount is connected. The EQmod window opens for a few seconds but then closes itself. We've tried connecting to the laptop through the synscan controller and directly to the mount but still no luck. Also tried various leads but nothing seems to be working.

I'm not overly tech savvy and I'm hoping it's something simple we've missed.

Going to say you need to use an older driver for Win 8, but if it doesn't work on Win7 either , that won't help! I actually bough t recon lappy with Win 7 on and it worked straight away. All I can say is use Device Manager to check on which Com Port number the adaptor is connected too, that was the problem I had!

Cheers

Ron

sound to me that the com port is wrong, way to fix it is to look in the device manager on the laptop, not sure where that is in windows 8.1 as i`m still on XP, but once found look in the ports  ( com & LPT ) section, you need your eqmod on of course and connected to the mount, in the section it should say something like serial connection, thats the eqmod device, at the side of it it should say the com port number, remember it.

now go to the start / programs / eqmod and select tool box, now i`m working from memory here so click on setup eqmod, then when eqmod set up starts on the left hand side it says com port, this needs to be the same as the com port in device manager, click ok then with luck it should start up. 

Hi there.

You do not say what you are using to connect the laptop to the mount.

If the eqmod box just flashes up and then goes off it could mean you have a power fault on your mount or you are using the wrong type of connection.

If the com port is wrong the eqmod box should remain on the screen with a com port not found message.

when i try to connect my eqmod it flashes on for a second and goes off if the com port is wrong, changing the usb ports will assign a different com port as well so once set up try to use the same usb port, if not you`ll have to change the com port number again.  

Shane,

To narrow down the problem get someone locally who has the same set up(EQMOD,HEQ5) and  that's works.

1. Then try their Computer on your HEQ5 with their cables - if HEQ5 DOES NOT work then it would make sense that your mount has a problem.

2. If (1) works then the problem lies with either your cable and/or computer set up.

3. if  (1) works)  - To see if your cables are ok connect to the mount from their computer using your cables(for cable read cables and hub)

4. if (3)  works then its got to be your computer set up.

5. If (3)  doesn't work then you need new cables plus hub(maybe) . 

6. Try connecting your computer using their cables and hub to your mount (assumes mount tested ok at step 1).

7. If (6) fails to work your computer is at fault and also your cable/hub if  step (3) failed.

8. if (6) works then hub/cables to blame.

If your computer set up is found to be at fault from the above tests then look at their computer for version numbers of software/drivers being used. You need to make your software/drivers the same in respect to version numbers.

Sorry for the long winded advice or you have tried all the above already  - plus nice if someone could just check in case I missed something etc.

Shane,

To narrow down the problem get someone locally who has the same set up(EQMOD,HEQ5) and  that's works.

1. Then try their Computer on your HEQ5 with their cables - if HEQ5 DOES NOT work then it would make sense that your mount has a problem.

2. If (1) works then the problem lies with either your cable and/or computer set up.

3. if  (1) works)  - To see if your cables are ok connect to the mount from their computer using your cables(for cable read cables and hub)

4. if (3)  works then its got to be your computer set up.

5. If (3)  doesn't work then you need new cables plus hub(maybe) . 

6. Try connecting your computer using their cables and hub to your mount (assumes mount tested ok at step 1).

7. If (6) fails to work your computer is at fault and also your cable/hub if  step (3) failed.

8. if (6) works then hub/cables to blame.

If your computer set up is found to be at fault from the above tests then look at their computer for version numbers of software/drivers being used. You need to make your software/drivers the same in respect to version numbers.

Sorry for the long winded advice or you have tried all the above already  - plus nice if someone could just check in case I missed something etc.

Looks like a sound method to me :thumbsup:

Shane are you coming to kelling.

If you are I will test it out for you and hopefully get it up and running.

Regarding the COM ports, tried auto detect with no success. Tried manually selecting the COM port but still nothing. The lead we're using was a cheap one we bought off ebay (rs232 to usb) so we assumed that was the problem. However, Ron Clarke very kindly let us borrow his lead, which works on his, but we can't get it to work with that either. Paul Cotton tried running it off his laptop but had the same problem, although he couldn't get his own mount to work that night either. Starting to sound like a problem with the mount. I hope not :(

Looks like a sound method to me :thumbsup:

Shane are you coming to kelling.

If you are I will test it out for you and hopefully get it up and running.

Hi Graham,

No I'm not going to kelling unfortunately. I'm beginning to think it's the mount that is faulty.

Regarding the COM ports, tried auto detect with no success. Tried manually selecting the COM port but still nothing. The lead we're using was a cheap one we bought off ebay (rs232 to usb) so we assumed that was the problem. However, Ron Clarke very kindly let us borrow his lead, which works on his, but we can't get it to work with that either. Paul Cotton tried running it off his laptop but had the same problem, although he couldn't get his own mount to work that night either. Starting to sound like a problem with the mount. I hope not :(

Hi Shane ,

Looks like the mount could be the problem assuming Paul's worked later and it was just a "glitch" that night on his set up.

Graham looks your best bet - how frustrating for your Grandad   :( hope it gets sorted soon.

Shane if you want to send the mount down to me I can soon bench test it for you.

As you are an EMS member I will test it out for you free of charge. :)

One thing worth mentioning: I also tried connecting just the synscan controller to the laptop to try updating the firmware but it wouldn't even recognise that.

Shane if you want to send the mount down to me I can soon bench test it for you.

As you are an EMS member I will test it out for you free of charge. :)

Would be great if you could thanks Graham. As I said before I am a tech novice, anything too complicated goes straight over my head haha. I'll take it along to our next monthly meet in East Lincs and give it one last try. Failing that I'll arrange a courier to bring it down to you.

IT'S WORKING!!!

Don't know what I've done but we've got it working. Uninstalled everything on the windows 7 laptop, reinstalled and it now works. Such a relief after 15 months of constant headaches.