• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I have a New Scope ( I just couldn't wait ) and what a bargin

Guest Darrian

Guest Darrian

Well i was bitten by the bug at Christmas when the Mrs bought me a 4" Refractor,

Then suddenly a few weeks later the scope motor packed up and i was left scopeless.

After posting on here a few weeks ago and asking what sort of scope should i get, I was greeted with alsorts of recommendations from the good folk on here after i had explained for what i wanted the scope for (Initially imaging)

Well The money that i had aquired was sat there and burning a big hole in my pocket, I so desperatley needed another scope , even if it was only to see me through untill i could get what i wanted.

I spent many an hour trawling through many a website as well as Fleabay looking for a scope that would get me through , Then i saw it (A month old Skywatcher 200p on an EQ5 Mount ) For sale on Fleabay for £250..... Of course i thought Bargin, but then i thought whats wrong with it ?

After countless messages with the owner i decided to go and have a look at it in sunny Birmingham,

It is was in mint condition and came with all the various standard bits and bobs and the original recipt , From January 2012 ... And then came the bombshell ....

The bloke said to me "you can take it away now for £200 if you want it ?" "I just need to get rid because i'm emmigrating"

Well me being a sensaible sort of guy , I did the right thing and snapped his hand off as well as his arm and some of his shoulder...!!!

The scope is now at its new home in Derbyshire and i've already bought it some new gadets , R.A & DEC motors and a Baader Collimator

Collimation is the only thing i could find wrong with it , and to say that today was the first time i have ever Collimated a scope , Well all i can say is what a doddle .. (Thats if i have done it right ) ?

Now all i have to do is wait for some clear skys and the days when i finally get a break from work .....

I will of course update with a first light report as soon as i get chance ,

Sounds a good buy, as a 200PDS and EQ5 owner, welcome to the club! You'll soon see how good your collimating is when you get a first light chance!! Clear here at the moment!!

Guest Darrian

Thanks Ron and Craig ....

Sadly it's a little cloudy here in Derbyshire at the moment Ron

But i reckon another hour and it might just clear up so i may take the scope out later if i have time for a gaze , Looks like all the cloud is going your way Ron ....

You may be right!! I'll wait and see, Jupiter,Venus and a really thin Moon still visible at the moment!

I've got a Baader collimator as well, no problems so far and well star tested already!

Ron

Guest Darrian

Just took it out for a quick test drive this evening, Inbetween the cloud breaks, I had a stunning view of Jupiter, It cloud belts and all of it's moons,

Stars were pinpoint , so i think i did an alright job at collimation ..... All in all After an hours messing around ... I'm well chuffed .

Thanks for all the comments as well guys ....