• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Veil Nebula for the first time

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

Hi All,

Well after a very stressful few hours with PHD refusing to work then working then stopping then working again I finally got some shots off last night but I ran out of time after an hour and couldn't take anything other then the lights..

But happy with the result so far just need to spend more time getting more data and get the Darks/Flats/Bias sorted :)

Any how the below is the result of 

x2 300s ISO800

x2 480s ISO800

x3 300s ISO1600

x2 420s ISO800

x1 90s ISO1600

15352287525_7407c8c0de.jpgVeil Nebula by stevenwhatley231284, on Flickr

And the pre processed version straight from DSS

15349158791_c71d559b4d.jpgVeil Neb.tiff by stevenwhatley231284, on Flickr

Edited by StevenWhatley

Great work. Always amazed by how much you can get teasing out the data from the preprocessed version.

Interesting that you used different iso and exposure times. Was it a straight stack or is it a composite in some way?

Can't fully control exposure length from pc in bulb mode on my nikon it seams so am looking at options... manually control and have different exposure lengths or bite the bullet and buy a moded canon at some point and dedicate it to astro... But that's for another post.

Super image!

S