• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My very first Attempt at Astrophotography

Guest Darrian

Guest Darrian

Well guys the sky is clear and i thought i'd have a go at taking pics tonight ... I thought there cant be that much to it ? (Can there) ?

So i stuck the old Sony A230 on the end of the scope and pressed the shutter ..... and the image below is my very first attempt.

I know it aint the best ... but i'm over the moon with it ...

Onwards and upwards

Thats brilliant, did you shove the camera on the EP or with a thread direct to focuser? Im intrigued of the detail, without goto I assume?

Tempted to try it myself, what settings did you use, shutter speed etc

Guest Darrian

Thanks for all the nice comments guys ....

Eddy,

I have a T2 Adaptor connected to my Sony A230, This goes straight on to the focuser.

The settings were F1, ISO:400 with a 30 second exposur,e and i used the remote shutter to take the pic so as to minimise scope vibration...

The only problem with the Sony is they have a clunky shutter thats goes with a bang not a click, and this sometimes causes trails .

The mount is both RA and DEC motor driven , but i disengaged the DEC and just left it tracking in RA (And it never left the EP during the two hours i was out there)

god i love this hobbie......

Don't worry too much, visual only counselling is available. Be careful though, everybody tries it a little and thinks they can handle it!!