• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi :)

Guest rachmarie88

Guest rachmarie88

Hi everyone,

I'm Rachael, completely new to all of this but looking forward to getting to know a few people and hopefully seeing some amazing sights. At the moment I haven't got any equipment, finding it all a little overwhelming and not really sure where to start so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi Rachael.

Welcome to EMS.

A great way to start would be to buy a decent pair of binoculars.

These are ideal for learning your way around the sky.

What are you most interested in....?

Just a quick look around, or maybe some astrophotraphy too at some point ?

Hello and welcome to EMS.

First bit of advice for you, do not rush into buying the first thing you see, you may end up buying the wrong product and waste money.  So lets start off with the free things.  Download a free planetarium software called Stellarium (http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/) it's a fantastic bit of free software and lots and lots of people on here use it, it will help you find objects in the sky and also gives information about objects and lets you travel forward in time (not literally :lol:  ) so you can see what objects are where in the sky at at given point.  Next up, have a look at websites like First Light Optics (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/) this will give you a good example of the wide range of telescopes and mounts etc that are out there (dont worry if it looks daunting, they do sell a lot of astro gear).  Next up, decide what sort of astronomy you would like to do, would you like to do visual where you just look at the objects in the sky, or would you like to take pictures of the objects in the sky?  Lastly (so not to overwhelm you), keep an eye out on the announcements  and meets section, now the darker nights are approaching us, the meetings we hold on a adhoc basis will increase, if you can come and have a look at some kit and actually talk to people, you will gain a better understanding of astronomy rather than trying to understand it all through forums and the like.

In the meantime, ask any questions you like in the relevant sections and somebody should be along soon with a reply.  Remember, the only daft question is the one you did not ask.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Regards,

Daz.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Hi Rachel cannot really add anything to the advice already given, just like to say welcome to EMS and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi Rachael,

You've definitely found the right place to help you get into stargazing.

Welcome to EMS.

Hi Rachel welcome aboard. Get yourself to a dark site next time there's a meet and have a look at and through some scopes. It's the best way to decide what you want before spending any cash. And always consider second hand. Most of my gear is and if you need advice just shout up.

Clear skies,

Andy.

Hi Rachel, a warm welcome to EMS.

I can only echo the advice above, try before you buy. There are some really good bits of kit out there, and there are some that don't even make decent plant pots.

If you get tempted by something, please ask on here whether or not it's worth the money, and if it will do what you want.

You would be very welcome to attend any of the darksite meets, the first visit is free to see if it suits your needs.

Enjoy the forum.:)

Hi and welcome to Ems. As per other folks advice dont jump in deeply straight away, get a good book, turn left at orion, or similar and come along to a meet. You can then determine what you are interested in

. If you are bursting to get some form of instrument buy a pair of 10x50 binos,Lidl and Aldi do these at great prices from time to time. These plus the book will give you a good grounding in learning the skies.

Guest Valvoltec

Hi Rachael, Welcome to the forum,get yourself along to your local group or society,a wealth of information,advice and help awaits you.

I am a newcomer and both the Derby and Tibshelf groups and there members have helped me loads!