• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moon Friday/Saturday night - 10/11 Oct 2014

Johnnyaardvark

Apart from spoiling the views of any fainter objects that night the seeing appeared very still. Gone is the heat haze of the summer and the Moon looked spectacular. I have never seen such great detail and views of some of the craters and other features. Especially [i think] ... The Craters Petavius and Langrenus and the mountain/ridges around Mare Crisium at higher magnification were stunning.  (Names with a little help from the web!)

Best 80-90% of around 430 frames. Nikon D5000, ISO200, 1/640s. ED80 and HEQ5 Pro. Processed in PIPP, Registax and tweaked in PS.

15339566419_d34228e1f6_h.jpgMoon 10/10/2014 by sja88, on Flickr

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

one at a time Phil L.O.L.

you won`t be able to download them very fast like a webcam or other fast frame camera but as the Moon does not rotate you have longer to get the snaps.

using my ZWO 120 camera i could get 450 frames in 6 seconds at 75 fps.

• Like 1

Hi Phillip

:) My shortest time between shots in a kind of timelapse (interval timer shooting) mode is 1 second. So it took about 450 seconds 1fps!

Downloading them to the PC later... may have taken longer...

ep's working great thanks btw Rob. the 13mm was nice on the moon. Seems better in 1.25" mode than with the bottom modular piece removed. Quite a bit of chromatic aberration around the edge so looks like it's best with that in place. Had a look at the double cluster with and it fit nicely! Will be great for that size objects on a dark night.

Best wishes

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

Guest Philmarriott

Thanks for the reply. Im going to have to spend an evening on the moon (not literally) with the canon and get some images like this. The moon always seems to be overlooked but when you get images like this i think its worth some time

Just in case you didn't know steve, when you take out the first set of lenses on you 13 mm it then becomes a 30mm. All the hyperions do this except the 21 mm that becomes a 35mm. I also have the tuning rings to alter focal length.

Thanks for the reply. Im going to have to spend an evening on the moon (not literally) with the canon and get some images like this. The moon always seems to be overlooked but when you get images like this i think its worth some time

Thanks Phil. Feel I have over processed it a bit. Sharpening it little too much using the wavelets has brought out some green colour in the image. I could just remove this by making it B&W of course but I do like the image overall. Only an issue if you zoom in too much. Would be nice to get some higher magnification images of some specific craters and detail.

Just in case you didn't know steve, when you take out the first set of lenses on you 13 mm it then becomes a 30mm. All the hyperions do this except the 21 mm that becomes a 35mm. I also have the tuning rings to alter focal length.

Thanks Andy. Didn't know quite what the change was when you removed the first set of lenses. So they all become a 30mm pretty much? Do you find there is some discolouration around the edge? I'm aware of the tuning rings but no sure exactly what variation you get and as you have said before it sounds a bit fiddly in the dark.

S

All ways keep this on my phone. Sorry the're all around the 20 mm mark with out first group except for the 21 mm.

https://flic.kr/p/prfA2o

I have the 8,13,17,21 (some on loan I must add) so haven't really used the rings except to change the 8 to a 6. The Pleadies looked lovely at Kelling with the first group removed from the 21, first time I've been able to see it all in the fov.

Edited by tuckstar