• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First steps!

RonC

Connected my Pentax Kx onto my Baader Zoom on the 200PDS last night for the first time! Got blotches and marks on the photo but I know the camera is clean, the EP is clean, could it be the Primary mirror?

Guest Kheldar

If that's not dust on the sensor or EP I'll eat my ..... chocolate cake ;)

Unscrew the camera SLIGHTLY!!! from the EP. What happens to the marks, do they move (rotate,) or not?

I doubt any random marks on the primary would be responsible as a mucky mirror generally degrades the level of reflected light rather than producing in focus artefacts at the eyepiece/camera. Also if you can't see anything serious dirt then the mirror is ok. I've not cleaned my 200p in the 5 years I've had it and nobody mentions the poor view.

Stephen, I'll check that next time I'm out, it's a new camera! It has a dust removal system, I've tried that? Will check and get back to you..

Hi stephen, Have cleaned the sensor as it says in the book but I took 3 photo's with different results!!

Guest Kheldar

Right not the sensor then else they would be more similar. Those long ones look like eyelashes to be frank!

Check the EP next, there are two places.

1. The glass at the top where you look through
  2. The glass at the bottom that is closest to the secondary mirror, you need to remove the 1.25" barrel to do this properly

Finally visually, do you see any crud when you use it as an EP?

Cleaning EPs : Baader wonder fluid and a microfibre cloth. Don't use anything else :)

Will check tomorrow and order some wonder fluid (keep meaning to do it anyway!!)

Thanks for your help..

Guest Kheldar

No worries, I know how frustrating finding crud can be!

FWIW : If you can get it down to the minimum of marks (less than a dozen consistently in the same place) light frames will remove them in processing :)

I haven't got as far as processing anything yet, lot too learn!! Still enjoying learning visual! ha ha