• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tal 2m clock drive motor gearbox help please.

Guest Valvoltec

Guest Valvoltec

Hi all,recently purchased a Tal 2m,the scope is very nice but has an issue with the motor/gearbox.I have stripped the clock drive,it all looks fine but the motor/gearbox is faulty.I googled this and have found two solutions.

A replacement unit from the factory ,I have emailed and am awaiting a reply.

An alternative 240 v motor from a french manufacturer, involves a small amount of modification to the motor mount plate and also the clutch/motor output gear.

I also have a tal 1m so at worse I could use its motor.

I just wondered if anybody had located a moto,r carried out the conversion,or perhaps had a spare mount /parts available.

The motor looks to have perhaps been damp or wet, I am struggling to sepperate the motor from its gearbox completely, but am reasonably sure that the motor is at fault.

I have lathe/milling machine .

Any thoughts and information ,the part number of the french motor,or perhaps a supplier of tal spares,would be most welcome.I would be also interested in any spares/mounts you may have.

Sorry about the fog ,rain and cloud cover,I enjoyed a few hours with the Tail 1 on Friday,Saturday the weather got progressively worse the closer I got to the new scope.

Thanks for your thoughts Sean