• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flocking a 200p

Guest Darrian

Guest Darrian

Hi guys ...

Iknow some of you have already flocked your scopes ! Well it's about time that i did the same, So the powers that be have allowed me to have 6 whole days off from work after today so i thought i might get round to it whilst i'm off ? and maybe take a trip to Hobby craft tomorrow so i can get cracking .

The thing is, is that i cant really justify spending a fortune on the Protostar flocking so i was wondering if any off you have tried anything else, and what were the result?

If a sutible material can be found i'm also thinking of mounting that material on some 1.5mm fun foam then placing the entire cylinder inside the scope and sticking it with pva/super glue/ spray dec...

Thanks in advance

Darrian

Guest Kheldar

We've all pretty much used the new stuff that is available from Wilcos (no longer in stock) or from FLO.

It's £7 at FLO a roll, and you will need three.

Another vote for the D C Fix stuff. Is very good and I got mine from wilkos also. I saw it there this weekend. I would go with perkil8ers link though just due to the fact that it comes in a larger size than the rolls you can get from wilkos. The biggest bonus is that it is adhesive,no need to mess with glues :)

Guest Darrian

Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions. In the end i went to Wilko's at Ilkeston who had more than enough in supply... :D

I bought three rolls just incase i messed up !! :o

I started at 13:00hrs and finished at 17:00hrs , Thats strip scope down, Flock it , and re-assemble.... ;)

I MUST ADMIT IT WAS PROBABLY ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS I HAVE EVER DONE.. Very fiddly !! :unsure::blink:

The finished product looks really good and i'm well chuffed with the outcome , But i suppose the proof is in the pudding , So here's hoping for clear skys soon so that i can give it a test drive . :)

Again thanks to everone who replied ..

Darrian

I got mine from Ilkeston on Saturday, and cleared it out. They must wonder whats going on, although you can't fault their re -order system.