• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

We got some rain this morning.

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Guest Bonds_the_Name

At this time of the year we get sharp, short, summer showers that, at times, can get quite heavy.

1. Here are some clouds building from the south west . The camera is pointing east. :

Rear_Garden_4207_zps5309c459.jpg

It then rained:

Rain_Storm_4217_zps6e03c1b6.jpg

The Miner Birds took shelter:

Miner_Birds_4213_zpsb2535eab.jpg

And the rain stopped :

Rain_Stops_4226_zps4c0b945c.jpg

That's it folks. This story lasted for as long as it rained.

Jeremy.

Edited by Bonds_the_Name

Guest Tweedledum

We Sure did, but we didn't get the view after the clag cleared :D.. Nice photos Jeremy, looks like a rocket base but that must be your pillar!!

Edited by Tweedledum

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Depressing. Isn't it ?  to rain all day on a Saturday.

I have a strange feeling that this rain will de-generate into an all day drizzle and destroy the evenings' viewing at the Stockport Observatory (Astronomical Association of South Australia). Next week is the summer star party.

Jeremy

Depressing. Isn't it ?  to rain all day on a Saturday.

I have a strange feeling that this rain will de-generate into an all day drizzle and destroy the evenings' viewing at the Stockport Observatory (Astronomical Association of South Australia). Next week is the summer star party.

Jeremy

It is only half an hour into Saturday here at the moment :) .

That certainly looks like a fine, solid pillar. :thumbsup:

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Amazing! About 40 minutes ago there must have been a lightening strike close to the house. The house shook and the power went off.

I have now switched on this computer and everything is as it was and I am now continuing the session.  Amazing.

That pier is a home made pier (Fabricated and made by my neighbour Tim Andrews ( master welder). The tube is about 10" in diameter seamless high pressure pipe used in large ammonia refrigeration plant.  It is bolted to the footing so that is may be removed easily to the observatory when ever it is built !! 

Jeremy

Pier_whole_zps3f678091.jpg

Tim machined the top in a rather large lathe so that everything is nice and true and most importantly...

I painted the pier... good eh?

Pier_top_zpsbaa78444.jpg

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Near Siding Springs? Sadly No.

We are constructing a 1m telescope (mirror being ground). Where will it go? Goodness knows.

Jeremy.

I metre - that is one heck of a project! :)

Lovely pier.

You said you have a 10" dob, so what goes on the pier?

Guest Tweedledum

I am sure you can feel our pain as we rush headlong into winter, but to be frank, there have been few opportunities to have any sessions here.