• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie from Derby

Guest Webbo

Hi,my name is John,67 yrs old and starting out in the hobby.

I have not a clue what I am doing nor do I have clue as what instrument to get,all advice welcome!

Hi John,

This is where the fun begins,

What are you interested in doing, visual or astro photography ?

Later being more expensive and a bigger learning curve.

Hi John, welcome to EMS.

You've come to the right place to get a good start in astronomy. Ask questions in the beginners section and get sound advice from people who know the pitfalls.

Binoculars are cheap and are an excellent way to start stargazing. 10x50s are good.

Hi John, welcome aboard. +1 for binoculars. Stellarium is a free planetarium software that is invaluable to us all. "Turn left at orion" is a must own book for starting out with. Come along to one of our darksite meets and have a look at and through some kit to give you some idea where to go next. You would be more than welcome.

Welcome John from another 'oldie', started 3 years ago and still enjoying it! Good advise has already been dispensed I see!  :)  :)

Edited by Ron Clarke

Hi John, welcome aboard. +1 for binoculars. Stellarium is a free planetarium software that is invaluable to us all. "Turn left at orion" is a must own book for starting out with. Come along to one of our darksite meets and have a look at and through some kit to give you some idea where to go next. You would be more than welcome.

Yes thanks for the advice,wife already got me the book"Turn Left At Orion",methinks she wants to get me out of the house!

Guest peepshow

Yes thanks for the advice,wife already got me the book"Turn Left At Orion",methinks she wants to get me out of the house!

Hello John from yet another very oldie. 

When you start spending money on astro kit she will want you back in the house again. :)

So start for nothing and download Stellarium as has been suggested and get to know a few things that

are above the clouds. :D

Hi John,

Welcome to EMS

I'm another one who has little idea what he's doing, if it's any comfort

Start out with some decent binoculars, and try to get to an observing session of some sort to whet your appetite.

As you can see, you'll get all the advice you need on here, it's a great forum.

I'm Derby based too ; maybe bump in to you some time down the line.......

Hi John, a warm welcome to EMS.

+1 for Bino's here as well, they really are a good way to get involved with the sky for a modest investment. Aldi and Lidl sometimes have them on offer for around twenty quid,  but don't get zoom ones, they have a very poor field of view.

The "Sky and Telescope Pocket Star Atlas" would look well in your Xmas stocking as well. This is a very detailed, compact and largely dew proof atlas, I have had mine years  now and it's a bit dog eared, but going strong. 

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781931559317?redirected=true&v=A7V6U&selectCurrency=GBP&gclid=CM3OsNirosICFaXnwgod7Y0AXw

I would suggest that getting to know constellations such as Ursa Major, Cassiopeia and the polar ones will give you a feel for learning your way round the sky, you can then start using them as signposts to find others that are nearby, and get to know the more transient ones.

In the meantime enjoy the forum and feel free to ask any questions you might have, there's always someone around to help. :)

Guest daveclarke

hi john like yourself i am also a newby ,i have yet to have a clear night,,about 10  11  nights now been foggy misty,,dull low cloud,,so i am now waiting to see what my scope can pick up

hi john like yourself i am also a newby ,i have yet to have a clear night,,about 10  11  nights now been foggy misty,,dull low cloud,,so i am now waiting to see what my scope can pick up

Arrr Dave..........

You have a new scope ? Then you're suffering with the affliction commonly known as 'new scope curse' !  ( ie clouds, mist, rain etc)

We can all blame you for the grotty weather..... ;)

Edited by Bino-viewer

Guest Tweedledum

Hi John,

Welcome to EMS/ If you haven't found stellarium yet its here (and free) http://www.stellarium.org/ . As for scope, you will open a pandora's box If you can come to a meet and see what others have and what suits you best. Oh and another book to help you round the sky for xmas stocking - 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'

Guest daveclarke

hi everyone,whilst having grotty skies at night i/ve,searched the net for any information,ive downloaded stellarium,,which is fantastic ,,,,it also put up messier sky charts,,which after googling messier charts,i finally managed to download which i then printed of the charts,,as yet i,have yet to understand ,as yet still very poor sky quality at night,,,so thanks for stellarium,i am learning my way round the night sky,,,not the same as the real thing ,,but it gives me that learning curve.

Thanks guys for all the info and advice.

Been looking at the revelation 10 in dob,seems like a nice bit of kit for the back garden,anyone hade experience of these scopes?

I've got a 10" Skywatcher skyliner with a few mods! Love it. Just the right size to be able to cart about with out to much hassle, great view, easy to set up. As long as you don't want to venture down the astrophotography route you'll love it.

There's a few of us with dobs and there's plenty of info and help on here if you fancy modding it.

You would be welcome to have a look at mine if we ever get a clear night again.

Good luck.

Edited by tuckstar

There won't be a lot the 10" Dob won't show you, but you will only get the brighter stuff from the back garden, as the local light pollution will blow it all out.

But, take it somewhere dark, and you will get some really faint fuzzies.

There will still be loads to see, but it depends on your local conditions. Only rarely can I get a good night in my backyard.

It's a good capable scope, and will keep you happy for a good while.

You will have to consider some form of dew control, as they dew up fairly quickly, particularly the secondary mirror. Have a look at Daz's and Tuckstars signatures, they have made some amazing modifications to their scopes.