• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Telrad installation (slightly modded)

Bino-viewer

Hi all,

Back in June (at the IAS) i purchased my first Telrad reflex finder & starcharts.

I'd been impressed with the Telrad which we have on our DDAS society scope and fancied fitting my refractor with one.

Trouble is, where to mount it...?  Theres no room for one on my scope because of tube rings and carry handle. 

Also it would have been a faff removing it when putting the scope away in its case.

The issue was solved by mounting the Telrad to my mount, instead of putting it on the tube.

I've recently gone back to an alt-az mount : the Discmount DM6.

This has a finder bracket  which bolts on to the altitude axis, and i've attached a Baader red dot finder to it. Its worked well.

15917122895_0cf82c11c1.jpgRelease by rob.0919, on Flickr15916480162_31a8851ba4.jpgRelease by rob.0919, on 15891333946_79462c60d9.jpgRelease by rob.0919, on Flickr

I wanted to fit my Telrad in the same way, so using a 2" Telrad riser and with a bit of sawing, and drilling later i've got it in place.

There's a slight 'Heath Robinson' look about it but the riser is needed really so i can get access to the saddle bolts on the mount.

I was hopeful of trying the Tetrad out this evening (Sunday 30 Nov) but alas, the clouds have returned  :(

Here it is...

15891331716_30799fed21.jpgRelease by rob.0919, on 15297465173_03c8f19172.jpgRelease by rob.0919, on 15294881204_811dfd0103.jpgRelease by rob.0919, on Flickr

Finally, i'm in the process of upgrading my anti-dewing gear.

I have a new dew controller on order, together with a new higher power dew band for the refractor, AND a new double dew band for the eyepiece pairs on my bino-viewer.

This next item, is something i'd not seen before. I already have a Telrad dew shield, but i'm not convinced its going to be much use.

I found this on the German astro site 'Teleskope-Express'. Its a dedicated Telrad anti-dew heater, which slips in under the Telrads glass window, and is powered by the dew controller. Very nifty. I'd not seen one before on any UK astro sites. Hopefully it will do the job. Here it is....and thanks for looking  :)

15916481922_4ce90e8630.jpgRelease by rob.0919, on 15729670748_5eec57c456.jpgRelease by rob.0919, on 15729824210_4a4a66a58d.jpgRelease by rob.0919, on Flickr

I don't think it looks Heath Robinson. It looks like it was meant to be there, and it certainly isn't going to fall off. I reckon it will work well, and is a definite improvement over the RDF. You just need the sky to cooperate to test it now. :) 

Nice job.

I think you'll find the dew heater indispensable, I've got a belt n braces resistor fitted to mine and I couldn't be without it.

I have that telrad heater on mine. It came with the telrad I brought at Kelling. Had to re stick it in with a bit of araldite as whoever put it on used a bit of putty and it looked a bit rough. Works a treat though and I don't have a dew shield on it, yet. I used a bit of cocktail stick to spread the bottom of the bars out to the side to get a nice snug fit.

Edited by tuckstar

I have that telrad heater on mine. It came with the telrad I brought at Kelling. Had to re stick it in with a bit of araldite as whoever put it on used a bit of putty and it looked a bit rough. Works a treat though and I don't have a dew shield on it, yet. I used a bit of cocktail stick to spread the bottom of the bars out to the side to get a nice snug fit.

Yes Andy, when i received mine it was bent inwards in a horseshoe shape. I wedged a socket from a ratchet set in it to open it out.

That looks great Rob, like the distillery and bbq tools too :D

A Distillery....?  Nah.....i'm putting together a 'domestic' nuclear  reactor to cut down on fuel bills  :D

15924082815_d14c43cf93.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on Flickr

Edited by Bino-viewer