• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Advice on new atlas

Tweedledee

I'm thinking of buying a new star atlas called "Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas".

All the references I can find on this on this say it is really comprehensive and detailed.

This is only just available and comes in two versions. There is the desk version at about £60 and the Field version at about £140!

Desk version

http://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/astronomy/amateur-and-popular-astronomy/interstellarum-deep-sky-atlas-desk-edition

Field version

http://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/astronomy/amateur-and-popular-astronomy/interstellarum-deep-sky-atlas-field-edition

Obviously, I would prefer the field version with its waterproof pages, but if that is the only difference then I will get the cheaper one. I am finding that the german publishers website for this is not available. Not sure if this is temporary or permanent.

Maybe someone is further down the road with this than me, and could tell me if it is only the waterproof pages I would be missing out on for a massive saving of £80!

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Pete,

I trust Amanda has not seen the page, two amazing tomes But you could always scan the pages and print onto toughened paper or put into waterproof pouches......

Damian,

It's just one of those bargain basement star maps from The Works for about three quid :whistle:

I had thought the same, just scan a sheet or two for an observing session, print them and bin them when they get damp. I just wanted to make sure that the cheaper one is not some cut down, less detailed version. £80 difference seems an awful lot of money just for waterproof pages. You could probably laminate every page yourself cheaper and then put them back in their spiral binding. Now that's an idea ;) .

Guest Tweedledum

Can do a3 b&w at mo, looking to expand to colour shortly, trying t o workout way of plotting by field of view for that ack ack canon of yours so you can nudge by fov by eyepiece......

A3 and soon to be in colour! Sounds like some good gear you have there Damian and some good ideas. Cheers.