• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which 80mm doublet or triplet ota

Nelson

hi I'm thinking of purchasing a refractor ota in order to pursue astrophotography. At the moment I have a SW mak-cas 127 but have been told that for better results I could do with a smaller refractor, hence investigation into them, but I'm totally confused, I read the different reviews Etc. But cannot make my mind up. I have just over £500 but have been told that for around that price I would get a better doublet and a not so good triplet. Also everything I currently have in the way of accessories are 1.2 size and I do not have enough resources to purchase 2inch. There are so many questions I have but there is not a relevant shop in Leicester where I can go and discuss the matter. Please help and advise me as to which ota to consider.

I observe visually only, so my comment may not be accurate, but, a lot of imaging folks use a Sky Watcher ED80, these seem to provide decent optics at a reasonable price, they must be half decent as they are rare on the second hand market.

Have a look at this new one, it will give you an idea as to what you can get for your money.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-outfit.html

I am sure the imagers will give you better advice.

The ed80 is the astroimagers workhorse, affordable relatively colour free, well made and is good for visual also. You will have to pay quite alot more for a triplet that will be better than this doublet at this size. Second hand prices make these even more attractive.

Many imagers start with the ed80. Then when you outgrow it and want to go to high end triplets you can keep the ed80 for guiding.

Bang for buck it has to be the ED80. Yes, there are better, but not at that price range IMO. As above, go for that then move up as you outgrow it. Either keep it as a guide scope or sell it on, they hold their value well do the ED80's.

Hi Melvyn - you can't beat an ED80 in your price range - pretty standard for starter imaging. If you go for a triplet they're around £850 - £1000 for something that size and quality. If you want to chat over your options you'd be welcome to drop round for a natter over a cuppa - I'm in Leicester and free most any time for the next month or so. Just send me a pm to arrange. :)

Guest recceranger

Mate,

If I were you I would lean towards the ED80.  I have the Pro not the Equinox but remember, the ED80 Pro comes good to go straight out of the box.  If you get the Equinox you'll need to purchase a finder and a diagonal.  Optically they are exactly the same OTA

Mate,

If I were you I would lean towards the ED80.  I have the Pro not the Equinox but remember, the ED80 Pro comes good to go straight out of the box.  If you get the Equinox you'll need to purchase a finder and a diagonal.  Optically they are exactly the same OTA

They are not the same, the Equinox is fl 500mm the Evostar ED80 is 600mm.

Guest recceranger

I stand corrected!  Shoot me at dawn

Personally I have been using the ED Pro for a few years and its without a doubt a fantastic scope.  I couldnt recommend it more although I did purchase a Baader Crayford Focuser which is great for AP.  The Equinox comes with a superior Crayford to the one on the ED Pro but not as good as a Baader or Moonlight etc.

I suppose the point is, by the time you purchase the either scope and add on what is required to bring it to a level of excellence, your in and around the region of £700

I think these are two of the most popular scopes for imaging and as you say Rick, pretty much do what they say on the tin. I would imagine there will be a few niggles with the manufacturer trying to keep costs down, but as with most scopes, they can be modded to bring them to a level people are happy with. The optics though, I haven't heard anyone grumble about them.

I agree Pete I think Ron's scope looks like a perfect light weight grab and go scope.

Nice one Ron  :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly Mick, especially on the altaz Vixen Porta mount.

The widefield AP on the goto is just a bonus :)

Hello everyone thanks for all of your replies. After visitingKim the other day I have decided to go for the Skywatcher Equinox ED 80. But now I have another question. I intend to do some astrophotography with my Canon 600d. I have the T ring and a adapter which is a 2x Barlow, it's what the shop sent me when I told them what I wanted to do, anyway, I'm now told I need to get an extension tube in order to be able to get focus! Will the Barlow, which screws into the T ring, not do?

The barlow might do the trick but you will then be imaging at 1m F/L. You may well need a T extension, I did for the evostar. You will need around 60-70 mm, there are often a few listed on Astroboot for a few quid. That's where mine came from.