• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Split ring secondary dew heater

Brantuk

Hi Folks

I'm getting one of these: http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16275&cat=243&page=1

They recomend it should be insulated by sticking something over the top of it to direct heat down onto the mirror instead of releasing heat to the open air. Does anyone hava an idea what I should use? They suggest polystyrene or foam and I'd like to source the most appropriate and effective solution?

Have any dob users done this and have a suggestions?

Cheers :)

It is and I mentioned it as I saw a post on CN's about it.

They made up some sort of mould so the foam ended up in a nice semi circular shape over the ring of the heater.

If you don't it might look a mess.

Put in a search on CN for split heater foam or something like that.

Exactly what I was wondering - how to shape it - I remember your's looked quite smart and well shaped - plus it has to be painted black before fixing in place - thanks again matey :)

I didn't use that stuff Kim, I made mine from layers of sticky tape.

How about plastercine modeled into a sausage shape surrounded by stcky tape and secured over the ring heater and stuck down.

Interesting idea - I'll think about that one. Meantime I nearly have the flocking corrections finished - one 3" strip left to do - and the d/s focuser is fitted - gonna be a well mod'ed dob when I'm done :)

It's taken a long time cos when you pull the protostar out it takes just the top layer leaving a residue of sponge stuck hard to the surface that has to be scraped out bit by bit ugh!

• 1 month later...

Did you do this mod in the end Kim?

And what insulation did you go for?

Just asking as I will be looking to add dew prevention to my Telrad, finder scope, secondary and focuser in the next 3-4 months.

Found a proper heater pad for a Telrad, would like the heater pad you found above for the secondary, just wondering what is best for the focuser and the finder scope, just wrap around pads?

Also going for the Hitec astro 4 channel dew controller.

All ready got my power requirements sorted thanks to Baz.

I reckon we are going to have the most modded Dobs about. Short of solid fuel boosters there's not a lot else we can do.

Just need the cloud sorting now, that's where we come unstuck!

I have it Darren but not stuck it on yet - only just got the silicon glue - found it in Maplins. The expanding foam comes in v large quantities and a bit expensive in B&Q so I'm looking into a cheaper alternative. I think the split ring is for 300P secondary sizes and upwards. Might be oversized for a 200P. Must be able to get smaller ones though I would think.:)

Cheers Kim, will have a hunt around for a smaller size.

• 4 months later...

Is there another size smaller as by the time you get your insulation around it you might block the light path, I wonder if a 200 or 250 is smaller.

Is there another size smaller as by the time you get your insulation around it you might block the light path, I wonder if a 200 or 250 is smaller.

Mick, I have checked with many astro shops, those that do the Kendrick split rings all say the same, the 300P is the smallest they do.

I looked for ages but there is nothing out there really for us 200P owners, I had a long talk with Nick I think it was at Green Witch, he had a few ideas, also spoke with someone at Altair Astro about Kendrick designing one, but that would take months/years to develop, build and then ship!

For me, it's a diy job I`m afraid.