• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

12-Volt DC 2.1mm Car Cigarette Lighter Power Cable.

Daz Type-R

HI, in need of assistance, does anybody know where I can get hold of a 12-Volt DC 2.1mm Car Cigarette Lighter Power Cable with a cord of greater length than 100CM?

Ideally I need one as long as you can get (2 meters for example).

I have found 1 in Maplins that is 25 foot long used to power a Celestron mount but that's a bit too much.

Any ideas?

Ahh fab, thanks guys.

What I am trying to achieve is to get power to my new primary fan, I want to use the 38a/h Baz battery I already have which will sit under the table, I was then going to cut a hole in the table to run a male to 2x female cigarette adapter, 1 for my dew controller and 1 for the fan.  I then have 2 issues.

1.  If the 2x adapter is on the table, I need a good long cable to cater for the fact my dob base swivels round or

2.  If the 2x adapter is on the dob base, I need a good long cable to cater for the fact my dob base swivels round.

Regardless of where I put the 2x adapter, I still need a decent male to 2.1mm tip positive cable to power the fan.

I cannot decide which is the lesser of two evils, I would prefer to not have another battery as that's something else to charge and to maintain and the 38a/h is more than enough.

Any other thoughts?

Personally the less wires the better so in my book just one battery is the way to go.

A few months ago I saw a hollow M12 bolt advertised on e-bay. This would be such a good thing for us dob owners as it means all wires can be routed through your centre bolt so in theory no more tangles in the wire and no more long lengths to cope with.

Unfortunately I cannot locate the advert again, I should have saved it.

Edited by Doc

In theory quite simple to make, just get a M10 or M12 Bolt and take it to someone who has a pillar drill and drill straight through the middle. Then run your wires through it and hey presto no more tangled wires.

Hmmm, that's a good thought.

Might have a word with Graham, if he can do it, who else wants some?

Here is another idea that I had thought of using on my dob to get power through the base. A flat disc electrical slip ring...

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8bDha0szIY&feature=player_detailpage#t=0

It is a bit more complicated to do than the hollow bolt, but should work nicely. The hollow bolt idea would not work on my dob because the central bolt is a special fitting coupled with the intelliscope encoders, which is why I looked at this. My other option is to use one or even two 22Ah lithium polymer Deben Tracer batteries which are small enough to sit permanently inside the rocker box and rotate with the scope. But they are a bit pricey.

Edited by Tweedledee

I've thought of these before Peter, we use something similar in work connected to slip clutches, but as you say a little complicated for most people, but it does look impressive once done.

I've thought of these before Peter, we use something similar in work connected to slip clutches, but as you say a little complicated for most people, but it does look impressive once done.

Like you, I am concerned with keeping cables very neat and down to a minimum, with no trailing trip wires.

Now erring towards the less complicated, but more costly method of batteries in the rocker box. I'm trying to make my dob totally self contained, with built in dew control and almost invisible cabling.

Fantastic idea Pete but a bit OTT for my little 8", think I'm going down the hollow bolt route, that will keep it nice and tidy and contained to within the dob base.

:)

Fantastic idea Pete but a bit OTT for my little 8", think I'm going down the hollow bolt route, that will keep it nice and tidy and contained to within the dob base.

:)

Yep, the hollow bolt should be a quick and easy solution, costing next to nothing, and will stop your dob getting into any tangles :thumbsup:

Like you, I am concerned with keeping cables very neat and down to a minimum, with no trailing trip wires.

Now erring towards the less complicated, but more costly method of batteries in the rocker box. I'm trying to make my dob totally self contained, with built in dew control and almost invisible cabling.

£219 each is pretty expensive for a 22Ah battery but as you say it's so compact and discreet it could be worth it.

Thanks Mike, I will have a closer look at these, excellent price. :)

They are a bit bigger and a lot heavier 5.4kg, the Tracer is only 1.3kg.