• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lovejoy 9/1/15

Tweedledee

And did it live up to your expectations Gary?

I didn't know what to expect Mick, What I saw was a central bright spot ( bright in inverted commas) surrounded by defused area, didn't get any tail. Didn't really matter  what it was like, I have seen something that once it has gone no will see for 800 years (nearly no one)

Kit used 20mm eye piece with 2x barlow.

Took me a while to get it, was a lot further right of aldebaran then I first thought, but good old Andy sorted me with his chart.

We will sort out a time to meet.

So what are you buying next to go with your new toy  ;)

Already got Lazy Susan, Prob. Telrad and wixey

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it on Saturday in 15x70 bins. It showed a hint of a tail but it could have been wishful thinking. It was already quite low in the sky when it cleared. I had a scout round the sky with my bins but decided not to snap it, as I had 2 photos already and didn't think they would be better than the ones I'd already done. It is a shame that the weather hasn't been co-operative.

Here's my shot from 16th (remember I don't have a mount that can guide for hours on end):

http://s197.photobucket.com/user/PhillipPugh/media/Comets/CometLovejoy2011W3Y15JanD16_zps01f0169f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0